ANN: The Elaborate Art Of Play

  • Phlip
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 2, 2005
      EAP starts Monday, here:

      http://www.greencheese.org/ZeekLand

      It's a slightly unhinged melodrama set in deep space and the far
      future, staring lemurs, a bird, a rat, an evil black robot, and
      various annoying humans.

      Topically, it features a complex mix of "real" virtual reality
      technology - not bogus "Matrix" pandering. The plot explores the
      effect VR will have on espionage, combat, and intrigue situations.

      Some dialog to watch for:

      "Congratulations on your first act of shipboard vandalism. You removed
      the back cover from a gourmet food dispenser!"

      "Put all the region's mechanicals on alert. And release the mosquitos."

      "Wherever you go, you'll always know, some/thing/ is watching after
      your effects back at home."

      "The good part of the plan is the part where we all clean up. The part
      where we kill seven million rich fat-ass tourists is the part we need
      to focus on"

      "Gee - I always wanted to take a subway all the way across the galaxy."

      "It's a 'Human'! I can tell by the nose."

      "We're having a plate of tortilla chips & chili; two orders of califia
      rolls; a spaghetti-gourd pie; two giant popovers stuffed with
      extra-mashed sweet potatoes, sour cream & chopped lamb with mint and
      cilantro; pho' with veggies for Tina here; kudzoo fellafa with that
      mashed chick-pea stuff, plus slices of ripe aligator pears; a
      sheppard's pie; seven-course beef & a big divorce cake with irish
      coffee, please."

      "When you piss off a puritanical judge, your family pays the price."

      A robot chases a rat thru a huge spaceliner, causing untold
      destruction to intervening hardware, trying to recover a stolen
      holoplayer. This holoplayer, however, is the only one in the world
      which can fool that robot. So the rat stays ahead by doing what he
      does best - imagining advanced, complex, creative scenarios. Play.

      --
      Phlip
    • George Dinwiddie
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 4, 2005
        Phlip wrote:
        > EAP starts Monday, here:
        >
        > http://www.greencheese.org/ZeekLand
        >
        > It's a slightly unhinged melodrama set in deep space and the far
        > future, staring lemurs, a bird, a rat, an evil black robot, and
        > various annoying humans.
        >
        > Topically, it features a complex mix of "real" virtual reality
        > technology - not bogus "Matrix" pandering. The plot explores the
        > effect VR will have on espionage, combat, and intrigue situations.
        >
        > Some dialog to watch for:
        >
        > "Congratulations on your first act of shipboard vandalism. You removed
        > the back cover from a gourmet food dispenser!"
        >
        > "Put all the region's mechanicals on alert. And release the mosquitos."
        >
        > "Wherever you go, you'll always know, some/thing/ is watching after
        > your effects back at home."
        >
        > "The good part of the plan is the part where we all clean up. The part
        > where we kill seven million rich fat-ass tourists is the part we need
        > to focus on"
        >
        > "Gee - I always wanted to take a subway all the way across the galaxy."
        >
        > "It's a 'Human'! I can tell by the nose."
        >
        > "We're having a plate of tortilla chips & chili; two orders of califia
        > rolls; a spaghetti-gourd pie; two giant popovers stuffed with
        > extra-mashed sweet potatoes, sour cream & chopped lamb with mint and
        > cilantro; pho' with veggies for Tina here; kudzoo fellafa with that
        > mashed chick-pea stuff, plus slices of ripe aligator pears; a
        > sheppard's pie; seven-course beef & a big divorce cake with irish
        > coffee, please."
        >
        > "When you piss off a puritanical judge, your family pays the price."
        >
        > A robot chases a rat thru a huge spaceliner, causing untold
        > destruction to intervening hardware, trying to recover a stolen
        > holoplayer. This holoplayer, however, is the only one in the world
        > which can fool that robot. So the rat stays ahead by doing what he
        > does best - imagining advanced, complex, creative scenarios. Play.

        Do you have a test for that?

        When I remember bygone days George Dinwiddie
        I think how evening follows morn; iDIA Computing, LLC
        So many I loved were not yet dead, gdinwiddie@...
        So many I love were not yet born. http://www.idiacomputing.com
        'The Middle' by Ogden Nash http://www.agilemaryland.org
      • John Carter
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 5, 2005
          On Sat, 2 Jul 2005, Phlip wrote:

          > EAP starts Monday, here:
          >
          > http://www.greencheese.org/ZeekLand
          >
          > It's a slightly unhinged melodrama set in deep space and the far
          > future, staring lemurs, a bird, a rat, an evil black robot, and
          > various annoying humans.

          What is your relationship to "Why the lucky stiff"?

          John Carter Phone : (64)(3) 358 6639
          Tait Electronics Fax : (64)(3) 359 4632
          New Zealand

          Carter's Clarification of Murphy's Law.

          From this principle, all of life and physics may be deduced.
        • Phlip
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 5, 2005
            John Carter wrote:

            > What is your relationship to "Why the lucky stiff"?

            My total role model (for a half-life of maybe a week).

            Why - does she or he draw comics?

            (BTW, yes I have a test for this. Don'tcha love how on StarTrek the
            captain can say "make it so", meaning write a program and run it,
            during combat, without it backfiring? EAP is not going to have this
            problem.)

            --
            Phlip
            http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?ZeekLand
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 6, 2005
              On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, Phlip wrote:

              > John Carter wrote:
              >
              >> What is your relationship to "Why the lucky stiff"?
              >
              > Why - does she or he draw comics?

              Err, umm, ahhh, I think the answer to that is mostly yes. I guess I
              got as far as...
              "It's a slightly unhinged melodrama set in deep space and the far
              future, staring lemurs, a bird, a rat, an evil black robot, and
              various annoying humans."

              I read that and said, "Hmm, is this Why the Lucky Stiff using another
              alias?"

              Read Why's (poignant) guide to Ruby to understand what I mean.
              http://poignantguide.net/ruby/chapter-1.html

              (Ps: Keep it up guys, whenever reality gets me down (which is often), I go
              off and read your sites. Makes bad bad bad reality go away, which Cheers
              me up.)

              John Carter Phone : (64)(3) 358 6639
              Tait Electronics Fax : (64)(3) 359 4632
              New Zealand

              Carter's Clarification of Murphy's Law.

              From this principle, all of life and physics may be deduced.
            • Phlip
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 22, 2005
                John Carter wrote:

                > (Ps: Keep it up guys, whenever reality gets me down (which is often), I go
                > off and read your sites. Makes bad bad bad reality go away, which Cheers
                > me up.)

                And sooo we have answered the question "when and how will Tuyen" appear?

                I invented Tuyen when I scripted today's episode. I had no idea who
                was inside the stuffed suit. I randomized the species and gender of
                every new EAP character, by flipping a penny. So Priz Ardent came out
                "White Male" (quite topically;), Xraxis came out "female mountain
                gorilla", and "whovever is inside the suit" came out "female lemur".
                Then I named her after a viet friend.