Re: [XP] Re: [agile-testing] Re: Subjectivity (was: Should customer tests be fast?)

  • William Pietri
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2005
      Ron Jeffries wrote:

      >On Thursday, June 2, 2005, at 9:04:01 PM, Brian Marick wrote:
      >

      >>Testers typically have to accommodate the situation they're given. In
      >>fact, I take it as one of the strengths of the context-driven school
      >>that it so clearly emphasizes dealing with the situation you're in, not
      >>the one you wish you were in. (See the introduction to Kaner's _Testing
      >>Computer Software_.)
      >>
      >>But that can make testers a poor match for Agile projects, where the
      >>emphasis is so strongly on molding the situation you're in. Testers
      >>aren't used to being able to effect substantial change in their
      >>environment, and they don't have the same habit of stubborn confidence
      >>that the important parts of the world will bend to their will.

      Interesting. I don't think of it in terms of context versus will,
      although I see how people could get that impression when I'm coaching.

      I see the contexts as nested, so that the "all TPS reports must have the
      new coversheet" context is inside a set of other contexts that include,
      "we make money by selling our users software that satisfies their
      needs". I encourage people to focus more on the containing contexts. I
      don't see that in terms of will at all; instead my stubborn confidence
      is that where proximate contexts conflict with ultimate contexts, we
      will all eventually come to pursue those ultimate goals.

      I'd agree that testers are generally more willing to put up with
      misaligned contexts than developers are. On the other hand, I think
      testers are more tenacious in pursuing their chosen contexts, which is a
      very valuable asset. Some of the best product managers I've seen are
      ones who started out testing conformance to a specification but
      eventually decided there was something deeper to pursue, which was
      testing conformance to user needs.

      William