RE: [XP] Re: Design Agility?

  • Steve Bate
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2005
      Jeff Grigg wrote:
      > I like the idea of measuring "agility" as the cost to make various
      > likely changes.
      >
      > Taking a quick look at a few German examples, it looks like
      > converting the program to do German /instead of/ English would cause
      > very little change except substituting words and punctuation, and
      > reversing the word order in one or two places. I think that
      > changing the code to switch between English and German would be
      > pretty easy... easier than making a separate German version. Of
      > course I could follow the Strategy Pattern, suggested by another
      > poster, and give the two a common base class, where I expect that a
      > fair amount of shared logic would reside.

      That's what I was thinking as well. I was actually a bit surprised
      about the total rewrite suggestions although the rewrite-then-merge
      method might be interesting.

      > Now if it were Russian or some Eastern language, I think a complete
      > rewrite may be needed, and there may be little shared code. I'd
      > have to learn more about such languages to be sure.

      I'd already looked into Russian, Kanji, and Swahili and none of
      them seemed any more difficult than German.

      > There is the point that this function is intended to generate a
      > simplistic form of English prose. So it shouldn't be surprising
      > that changing language could force significant changes in program
      > structure.

      Yes. I was imagining that the purpose of the function might be
      to support something like printing bank checks and that English
      just happened to be the first language the software was supporting.

      My original question was more related to whether some of the
      more "clever" removal of duplication might have lead to less
      agile implementations. Like you, I've seen overly aggressive
      removal of duplication sometimes result in code where the intention
      was not very clear later.

      Steve