Re: [XP] Music and Agile... Really??

  • Willem Bogaerts
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 1, 2005
      Last year I worked as a medieval wood- and boneworker in an
      archealogical themepark. Great switch for a programmer! It is not fully
      blown art, but, as programming, requires a lot of craftmanship.

      Oh, and I play bass guitar, a baroque rackett, and some self-designed
      reed- and woodwind instruments.

      and I started my programming career as a LISP programmer.

      Best regards,
      Willem Bogaerts

      >>There was a post that suggested many agile adopters have a music
      >>background. Could this be true?
      >>
      >>I was in the school band. I played Coronet for several years and
      >>switched to Tenor Saxaphone. I took piano lessons as well but never
      >>enjoyed playing. I think it was more to do with the fact you had to
      >>sit inside in front of a piece of "furniture".
      >>
      >>My favorite thing in school was Art and Science. I loved to draw and
      >>I loved to experiment. I was really interested in Architecture and
      >>the making of "war" machines (Catapults, battering rams, and WWII
      >>machinery such as air planes and tanks). When I discovered that
      >>Leonardo Da Vinci was into all of those things as well I thought that
      >>was really cool.
      >>
      >>When I first saw a Macintosh in 1984 I said, "I am going to learn to
      >>program those things".
      >>
      >>On my Mac I still get to draw and play with digital editing and such
      >>(not that a PC couldn't do it, it just didn't catch my attention).
      >>

      >>So, I do have some music in my background. More art and interest in
      >>architecture (especially Gothic Cathedrals).
      >>
      >>Anyone else?
      >>
      >>Geoff

      >>To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to:

      >>ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com
      >>Yahoo! Groups Links

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Michael Feathers
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 1, 2005
        I once thought it would be great to get these guys to an Agile conference:

        http://www.perl.com/lpt/a/2004/08/31/livecode.html
      • Luiz Esmiralha
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 1, 2005
          Guitar player with a brazilian and seventies rock music background...

          On 6/1/05, SirGilligan <sirgilligan@...> wrote:
          > There was a post that suggested many agile adopters have a music
          > background. Could this be true?
          >
          > I was in the school band. I played Coronet for several years and
          > switched to Tenor Saxaphone. I took piano lessons as well but never
          > enjoyed playing. I think it was more to do with the fact you had to
          > sit inside in front of a piece of "furniture".
          >
          > My favorite thing in school was Art and Science. I loved to draw and
          > I loved to experiment. I was really interested in Architecture and
          > the making of "war" machines (Catapults, battering rams, and WWII
          > machinery such as air planes and tanks). When I discovered that
          > Leonardo Da Vinci was into all of those things as well I thought that
          > was really cool.
          >
          > When I first saw a Macintosh in 1984 I said, "I am going to learn to
          > program those things".
          >
          > On my Mac I still get to draw and play with digital editing and such
          > (not that a PC couldn't do it, it just didn't catch my attention).
          >

          > So, I do have some music in my background. More art and interest in
          > architecture (especially Gothic Cathedrals).
          >
          > Anyone else?
          >
          > Geoff

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Tim Moore
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 1, 2005
            I wouldn't find it surprising at all. I've found a high occurrence of
            musical talent in programmers, generally, and I'm sure that the
            humanistic approach that agile methods take would be particularly
            appealing to artistic types.

            I was kind of an artistic jack-of-all-trades as a youngster (and to my
            regret, the adage held true!) But I always had a special fondness for
            music and still do. As a child I played piano and viola, sang a bit and
            even played in a ceremonial fife and drum corps at Mt. Vernon. My
            fascination with both technology and music led me to experiment with
            electronic music at a young age, and that continues to this day. I am
            an out-of-control music collector, and I sometimes DJ techno music at
            clubs and raves. I still tinker around with electronic music, and
            recently I've taken up acoustic guitar too. I'd love to fuse my
            interests more some day, but audio programming seems like pretty
            hardcore stuff that's way above my level. I wonder if anyone here has
            experience applying XP techniques to an audio-processing or music
            production application. A lot of our favorite things (very high-level
            languages, machine-verifiable program output) seem like they'd be a
            challenge in that kind of environment.

            Tim

            --
            Tim Moore
          • Clark, David
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 1, 2005
              I have been involved with the Australian Mathematics Competition for many years.
              It's done by about 500,000 secondary school kids from 20+ countries.
              The top 0.1% get a prize. These kids are seriously bright. At the prize-giving ceremony each prize winner's interests are read out. They vary. Widely. But a constant theme is an interest in / playing of music.

              I'm also involved in the Australian Informatics Olympiad. 4 high school kid are chosen to represent their country and compete against kids from about 80 other countries in a programming competition. Again, there is a strong correlation with musical interests.

              Also, I read some research a while back that said that to be a really good mathematician, you have to have a good sense of rhythm by the time you are 2.

              cheers,
              David

            • Anthony Williams
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 2, 2005
                "SirGilligan" <sirgilligan@...> writes:

                > There was a post that suggested many agile adopters have a music
                > background. Could this be true?

                I used to play classical guitar; I was never very good, but I didn't practice
                as often as I should, and when I did practice I got noticeably better.

                I tried playing the electric guitar, but couldn't get used to the difference
                between using a plectrum and plucking with fingers.

                I have a strong sense of rhythm and timing, though I can't always keep time
                myself (which consequently annoys me greatly).

                As for art, my drawings and paintings are not bad, but not outstanding --- I
                took Art at school, and got a B.

                Anthony
                --
                Anthony Williams
                Software Developer
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 2, 2005
                  > "SirGilligan" <sirgilligan@...> writes:
                  >
                  > > There was a post that suggested many agile adopters have a music
                  > > background. Could this be true?

                  Since everybody's sharing art experience...

                  4 years of violin music school in elementary school, I played guitar
                  like hell in high school. I still have an ear that hears things other
                  don't, I'm the first one to notice when somebody's a little out of
                  tune. Anyway now I don't have the time to play often but I still like
                  to grab a few chords from time to time, and play some tunes for
                  myself, my wife or friends around a campfire :)

                  drawing ? I don't think so ... I can put a few lines together ..
                  nothing more .. although I never /really/ tried.

                  -- Wojtek Biela
                • Anthony Moralez
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 2, 2005
                    Tim-
                    Andy Hunt wrote up an article on a successful agile project that
                    produced high-def MIDI files from old mono recordings.While not
                    exactly XP the techniques are clearly agile. Check out the article at
                    http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/articles/zenph/index.html

                    Anthony Moralez

                    On 6/1/05, Tim Moore <timothy@...> wrote:
                    > I'd love to fuse my
                    > interests more some day, but audio programming seems like pretty
                    > hardcore stuff that's way above my level. I wonder if anyone here has
                    > experience applying XP techniques to an audio-processing or music
                    > production application. A lot of our favorite things (very high-level
                    > languages, machine-verifiable program output) seem like they'd be a
                    > challenge in that kind of environment.
                    >
                    > Tim
                  • Jim Standley
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 6, 2005
                      I think there's a big overlap between musicians and programmers. I got
                      into programming in a shop that preferred people with no IT background
                      and trained from scratch. The crew was well over 50% college level
                      musicians. Abstract langauges, control structures, writing an algorithm
                      or harmonizing a difficult melody feel like simiarly rewarding
                      activities. Music theory teaches you many rules so you can be smart
                      about when to follow them and when to break them for a nice mix of craft
                      and creativity.