Re: [XP] Music and Agile... Really??

  • Jeff Grigg
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 1, 2005
      --- Andrew McDonagh <andrew.mcdonagh@i...> wrote:
      > --- SirGilligan wrote:
      >> There was a post that suggested many agile adopters have a
      >> music background. Could this be true?

      Early in school, I showed a simply amazing talent at the recorder.
      (Amazingly good, in my opinion at the time, amazingly bad to the
      ears of most others! ;-)

      >> So, I do have some music in my background. More art and
      >> interest in architecture (especially Gothic Cathedrals).

      I was planning on being a building architect before I switched to
      computers. Or maybe a traffic engineer.

      I happens that someone was gawking at my "Gargoyles" calendar today -
      - http://tinyurl.com/7759s ("From medieval to modernistic,
      gargoyles and grotesques of every kind peer from the pages of this
      calendar for 2005. This architectural art form will fascinate and
      entertain collectors and others with an interest in the Gothic
      mode.")

      > I'm a huge fan of Agile/XP and yet my artistic skills are
      > worst than the original gave dwellers - you can at least
      > tell they have drawn Animals on the walls - my attempts
      > look a little 'abstract' ;-)

      Me too. Smileys are about my best. :-(
    • Randy MacDonald
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 1, 2005
        Stanley Jordan (http://www.stanleyjordan.com/) uses APL, which is as agile
        as it gets.

        Later...
        |\/| Randy A MacDonald | you can't pay for it,
        |\\| randymacdo@... | even if you want to.
        BSc(Math) UNBF'83 Sapere Aude | APL: If you can say it, it's done..
        Natural Born APL'er |
        ------------------------------------------------------------{ gnat }-
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 1, 2005
          Last year I worked as a medieval wood- and boneworker in an
          archealogical themepark. Great switch for a programmer! It is not fully
          blown art, but, as programming, requires a lot of craftmanship.

          Oh, and I play bass guitar, a baroque rackett, and some self-designed
          reed- and woodwind instruments.

          and I started my programming career as a LISP programmer.

          Best regards,
          Willem Bogaerts

          >>There was a post that suggested many agile adopters have a music
          >>background. Could this be true?
          >>
          >>I was in the school band. I played Coronet for several years and
          >>switched to Tenor Saxaphone. I took piano lessons as well but never
          >>enjoyed playing. I think it was more to do with the fact you had to
          >>sit inside in front of a piece of "furniture".
          >>
          >>My favorite thing in school was Art and Science. I loved to draw and
          >>I loved to experiment. I was really interested in Architecture and
          >>the making of "war" machines (Catapults, battering rams, and WWII
          >>machinery such as air planes and tanks). When I discovered that
          >>Leonardo Da Vinci was into all of those things as well I thought that
          >>was really cool.
          >>
          >>When I first saw a Macintosh in 1984 I said, "I am going to learn to
          >>program those things".
          >>
          >>On my Mac I still get to draw and play with digital editing and such
          >>(not that a PC couldn't do it, it just didn't catch my attention).
          >>

          >>So, I do have some music in my background. More art and interest in
          >>architecture (especially Gothic Cathedrals).
          >>
          >>Anyone else?
          >>
          >>Geoff

          >>To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to:

          >>ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com
          >>Yahoo! Groups Links

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Michael Feathers
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 1, 2005
            I once thought it would be great to get these guys to an Agile conference:

            http://www.perl.com/lpt/a/2004/08/31/livecode.html
          • Luiz Esmiralha
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 1, 2005
              Guitar player with a brazilian and seventies rock music background...

              On 6/1/05, SirGilligan <sirgilligan@...> wrote:
              > There was a post that suggested many agile adopters have a music
              > background. Could this be true?
              >
              > I was in the school band. I played Coronet for several years and
              > switched to Tenor Saxaphone. I took piano lessons as well but never
              > enjoyed playing. I think it was more to do with the fact you had to
              > sit inside in front of a piece of "furniture".
              >
              > My favorite thing in school was Art and Science. I loved to draw and
              > I loved to experiment. I was really interested in Architecture and
              > the making of "war" machines (Catapults, battering rams, and WWII
              > machinery such as air planes and tanks). When I discovered that
              > Leonardo Da Vinci was into all of those things as well I thought that
              > was really cool.
              >
              > When I first saw a Macintosh in 1984 I said, "I am going to learn to
              > program those things".
              >
              > On my Mac I still get to draw and play with digital editing and such
              > (not that a PC couldn't do it, it just didn't catch my attention).
              >

              > So, I do have some music in my background. More art and interest in
              > architecture (especially Gothic Cathedrals).
              >
              > Anyone else?
              >
              > Geoff

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Tim Moore
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 1, 2005
                I wouldn't find it surprising at all. I've found a high occurrence of
                musical talent in programmers, generally, and I'm sure that the
                humanistic approach that agile methods take would be particularly
                appealing to artistic types.

                I was kind of an artistic jack-of-all-trades as a youngster (and to my
                regret, the adage held true!) But I always had a special fondness for
                music and still do. As a child I played piano and viola, sang a bit and
                even played in a ceremonial fife and drum corps at Mt. Vernon. My
                fascination with both technology and music led me to experiment with
                electronic music at a young age, and that continues to this day. I am
                an out-of-control music collector, and I sometimes DJ techno music at
                clubs and raves. I still tinker around with electronic music, and
                recently I've taken up acoustic guitar too. I'd love to fuse my
                interests more some day, but audio programming seems like pretty
                hardcore stuff that's way above my level. I wonder if anyone here has
                experience applying XP techniques to an audio-processing or music
                production application. A lot of our favorite things (very high-level
                languages, machine-verifiable program output) seem like they'd be a
                challenge in that kind of environment.

                Tim

                --
                Tim Moore
              • Clark, David
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 1, 2005
                  I have been involved with the Australian Mathematics Competition for many years.
                  It's done by about 500,000 secondary school kids from 20+ countries.
                  The top 0.1% get a prize. These kids are seriously bright. At the prize-giving ceremony each prize winner's interests are read out. They vary. Widely. But a constant theme is an interest in / playing of music.

                  I'm also involved in the Australian Informatics Olympiad. 4 high school kid are chosen to represent their country and compete against kids from about 80 other countries in a programming competition. Again, there is a strong correlation with musical interests.

                  Also, I read some research a while back that said that to be a really good mathematician, you have to have a good sense of rhythm by the time you are 2.

                  cheers,
                  David

                • Anthony Williams
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 2, 2005
                    "SirGilligan" <sirgilligan@...> writes:

                    > There was a post that suggested many agile adopters have a music
                    > background. Could this be true?

                    I used to play classical guitar; I was never very good, but I didn't practice
                    as often as I should, and when I did practice I got noticeably better.

                    I tried playing the electric guitar, but couldn't get used to the difference
                    between using a plectrum and plucking with fingers.

                    I have a strong sense of rhythm and timing, though I can't always keep time
                    myself (which consequently annoys me greatly).

                    As for art, my drawings and paintings are not bad, but not outstanding --- I
                    took Art at school, and got a B.

                    Anthony
                    --
                    Anthony Williams
                    Software Developer
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 2, 2005
                      > "SirGilligan" <sirgilligan@...> writes:
                      >
                      > > There was a post that suggested many agile adopters have a music
                      > > background. Could this be true?

                      Since everybody's sharing art experience...

                      4 years of violin music school in elementary school, I played guitar
                      like hell in high school. I still have an ear that hears things other
                      don't, I'm the first one to notice when somebody's a little out of
                      tune. Anyway now I don't have the time to play often but I still like
                      to grab a few chords from time to time, and play some tunes for
                      myself, my wife or friends around a campfire :)

                      drawing ? I don't think so ... I can put a few lines together ..
                      nothing more .. although I never /really/ tried.

                      -- Wojtek Biela
                    • Anthony Moralez
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 2, 2005
                        Tim-
                        Andy Hunt wrote up an article on a successful agile project that
                        produced high-def MIDI files from old mono recordings.While not
                        exactly XP the techniques are clearly agile. Check out the article at
                        http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/articles/zenph/index.html

                        Anthony Moralez

                        On 6/1/05, Tim Moore <timothy@...> wrote:
                        > I'd love to fuse my
                        > interests more some day, but audio programming seems like pretty
                        > hardcore stuff that's way above my level. I wonder if anyone here has
                        > experience applying XP techniques to an audio-processing or music
                        > production application. A lot of our favorite things (very high-level
                        > languages, machine-verifiable program output) seem like they'd be a
                        > challenge in that kind of environment.
                        >
                        > Tim
                      • Jim Standley
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 6, 2005
                          I think there's a big overlap between musicians and programmers. I got
                          into programming in a shop that preferred people with no IT background
                          and trained from scratch. The crew was well over 50% college level
                          musicians. Abstract langauges, control structures, writing an algorithm
                          or harmonizing a difficult melody feel like simiarly rewarding
                          activities. Music theory teaches you many rules so you can be smart
                          about when to follow them and when to break them for a nice mix of craft
                          and creativity.