[XP] Subject: Helmuth von Moltke (was: Plans vs. Planning)

  • John D. Mitchell
    Message 1 of 2 , May 5 7:19 PM
      [...]

      > And here's what's fascinating --- what different meaning the quote means
      > depending on which van Moltke we attribute it to !

      Really? Can you elaborate a bit?

      The Elder was capable strategically and tactically, fostered well-rounded
      commanders, decentralization within a guiding vision, understood that the
      value was in planning and adapting to the feedback of reality rather than
      any static view, and seemed to be relatively obsessive about understanding
      and adapting to various limitations (such as communication delays,
      logistics, indivdual variation, etc.).

      The youngster was, like the Long-term Capital Management boys, blind to the
      limitations of even his view reality. He was unable to plan decently ahead
      of time and he seems to have been quite poor at adapting.

      Thanks,
      John