[XP] Re: Business vs Technical decisions

  • Jeff Grigg
    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2005
      --- "Steve Bate" <steve@t...> wrote:
      > [...] I've asked about what alternative models are being
      > suggested and haven't seen any responses. Chris seems to
      > be suggesting an alternative model involving some aspect
      > of software architecture but he hasn't shared any details yet.

      I've worked in several organizations with a model that programmers
      in the corporate I.T. department were responsible for "wearing the
      corporate hat" and guarding corporate interests and enforcing
      corporate policies, while individual department managers
      (the "customer(s)") pursued a "devil may care" culture of demanding
      whatever might be best for their department, often at the expense of
      others, and sometimes in violation of Generally Accepted Accounting
      Practice or even laws -- relying on the I.T. department to stop them
      short of disaster. I didn't find this a very healthy approach. For
      one thing, it fosters an adversarial relationship between I.T. and
      its customers.

      When department managers disagree with each other, and when they
      disagree with the top corporate leaders, I'm inclined to introduce
      them to each other, and ask them to resolve their differences like
      the gentlemen they are. ;-> I'll facilitate and advise, if they'd
      like. And I'll enforce explicit rulings, in the domain of each
      manager's authority (at their request). But I think most businesses
      are better off if the appointed business leaders /do so/ (IE:
      lead), rather than relying on a bunch of programmers to second
      guess all their decisions.