Re: [XP] Low Tech Tools

  • Willem Bogaerts
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2, 2005
      Will Stott wrote:
      > Apart from index cards, what other low tech tools have you found useful in
      > XP projects?
      >

      > Big Visible Charts
      >
      > Whiteboards
      >
      > Digital camera to capture whiteboard content
      >
      > Noticeboards
      >
      > Kitchen timer (helps track time spent on tasks)
      >
      > Project notebooks (recording estimated and actual times for tasks + stuff
      > that gets lost when written on bits of paper)
      >
      > Conch (held by people at a meeting to give right to speak - see Lord of the
      > Flies)
      >

      > Anything else?

      - A coffee machine. When I was still a draftsman, we called it "drafting
      oil", so now it has has become "programming oil". Getting everyone
      something to drink helps in a standup meeting to get everyone's attention.
      No joke here. Even when I was at college, our Materials section had a
      technicological "breakthrough" with their coffee table. It really
      boosted informal communication.
      - A picture of Saint Isidore of Sevilla (see, for instance,
      http://www.catholic.org/isidore/ ), the saint of IT people and the
      internet. You may be doing XP, but you are far more professional when
      you call on the right saint instead of the Trinity. ;)

      Best regards,
      Willem Bogaerts
    • William Wake
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2, 2005
        There were a number of suggestions from an earlier thread, "Team room
        shopping list", summarized at:

        Bill Wake William.Wake@... www.xp123.com
      • Phlip
        Message 3 of 6 , May 2, 2005
          Willem Bogaerts <w-p@...> wrote:

          > - A coffee machine.

          Uh, can we swing the pendulum the other way there? I refuse to think
          performance-enhancing drugs don't conflict with the Energetic Work
          ideal.

          Oh, wait. You are from nl. Nevermind.

          --
          Phlip
        • Phlip
          Message 4 of 6 , May 2, 2005
            Will Stott wrote:

            > Conch (held by people at a meeting to give right to speak - see Lord of the
            > Flies)
            >
            > Anything else?

            Would you pay for a test rig? What if you had lots of legacy code for
            it to generate tests for? Or would you insist on extending an Open
            Source rig, with less support and fewer features?

            --
            Phlip