Re: [XP] A thought on language, maybe OT.

  • Steven J. Owens
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 11, 2005
      On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 09:39:18AM +1000, bena@... wrote:
      > In Java, for example, variables are mutable by default and can be made
      > final if desired.
      >
      > What difference do people think it would make to program in a language
      > where variables are final by default, and can be explicitly made mutable
      > if required?
      >
      > Is there any such language? (Formal languages aside.)

      I asked a language geek friend and his comment was:

      "Sure, the ML languages are like that, i.e. ocaml. Basically, there's
      local expressions, which are roughly analogous to a local final
      variable (but they can also be functions, but nevermind that). Then
      there's references, which are more like a typical language's mutable
      variables. They're two different types of things, and references are
      discouraged, but having references means it's possible to do
      imperative programming in the ML languages."

      --
      Steven J. Owens
      puff@...

      Take it all with a grain of salt." - http://darksleep.com/notablog