Re: [XP] Motivation to Complete Stories

  • Keith Ray
    Message 1 of 161 , Apr 1, 2005
      On Apr 1, 2005, at 4:02 AM, Ron Jeffries wrote:

      > Thanks for bringing up the encode/decode notion. It expresses much
      > of what I think about as I work to help the whole team be
      > productive. It's a little mechanistic for my current taste, because
      > I try hard to think about the human aspects of things, but it's
      > still a nice example that I think will help some folks.

      Dale has written up Satir's communication/interaction model here:
      <http://www.dhemery.com/articles/untangling_communication.html>

      Person One provides information in the forms of words, body language,
      tone of voice, etc.

      Person Two processes that information in steps Satir names Intake,
      Meaning, Significance, Acceptance, and Response. All steps but the
      Intake step also take in past experience.

      (And Repeat... the Response from Person Two becomes information to
      Person One.)

      If you know someone well, you might be able to infer some of what
      happens in the Meaning, Significance, Acceptance steps, guess fairly
      accurately the Response, and present your information in a way to avoid
      misunderstandings.

      You may know someone who tends to react badly to the word "cheating"
      and so saying "We think she's cheating us and she might be cheating
      you..." would distract that person from even considering the
      information that "Foo" most likely won't be done this iteration. Doing
      that deliberately (to avoid talking about Foo) would be manipulation.

      --
      C. Keith Ray
    • Ilja Preuss
      Message 161 of 161 , Apr 22, 2005
        extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com wrote:
        > Ilja,
        >
        > Sometimes it feels nice being around people who know my
        > quirks and are willing to cut me slack around them. But, I
        > learn more and grow around people who expect me to manage
        > myself and my reactions.

        Good point, thanks!

        I suspect that, again, this isn't black or white, but that there is a
        balance somewhere. Need to muse about it...

        Regards, Ilja