RE: [XP] Motivation to Complete Stories

  • Dave Rooney
    Message 1 of 161 , Apr 1, 2005

      [snip]

      > We could just develop some bloody, as you say,
      > software, and not give a toss about:
      >
      > 1) what Kent Beck is actually suggesting

      I always try to listen to what Kent is saying. I may not always agree,
      and I will certainly challenge his ideas in that case, but most often I
      listen until I gain an understanding of his message.

      > 2) how people understand XP

      Good point - I can't argue with that.

      > Or we could try and get to the bottom of it, learn
      > something, and contribute to XP not being so frequently misunderstood.
      >
      > To me, this is the most interesting topic for months. I
      > devote a lot of time and energy promoting XP and
      > helping people adopt it. I'm concerned when there is
      > something I don't understand, something likely to be
      > misconstrued, or at the possibility that Kent Beck is
      > diverging from my own convictions, especially as he has
      > asserted ownership of the definition of XP.

      I too devote considerable time and energy to XP where I am, and I too
      attempt to dig deeper when I don't understand something. My feeling is
      that we've really become hung up on the term 'accountability'.

      From what I have read in XPE2 and seen in Kent's posts here and in the
      XPE2 list, I get the feeling that accountability is something that is
      very near and dear to his heart. I also get the distinct feeling that
      Kent's fervour about accountability stems from bad experiences in the
      past. I have no evidence of that - it's strictly a gut feeling.

      To me, we (the people on this list) are thrashing about with the notion
      of accountability, and it seems as if it means something slightly
      different to each person. To me personally, it means that when I say
      that I'm going to do something I do it, and if I attach an estimate of
      how long it will take, I'll be honest about the estimate and honest if
      it takes more or less time. It means that I'm working in the best
      interests of the team as a whole, not just myself. If I have concerns,
      I raise them. If someone else has concerns, I expect them to raise them
      as well.

      I guess I was seeing the posts in this thread say the same things
      repeatedly, and griped about it in a weak moment. I believe I sent that
      message before I had consumed my first coffee this morning. ;)

      Dave Rooney
      Mayford Technologies
      http://www.mayford.ca
    • Ilja Preuss
      Message 161 of 161 , Apr 22, 2005
        extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com wrote:
        > Ilja,
        >
        > Sometimes it feels nice being around people who know my
        > quirks and are willing to cut me slack around them. But, I
        > learn more and grow around people who expect me to manage
        > myself and my reactions.

        Good point, thanks!

        I suspect that, again, this isn't black or white, but that there is a
        balance somewhere. Need to muse about it...

        Regards, Ilja