Re: [XP] Motivation to Complete Stories

    Message 1 of 161 , Apr 1, 2005
      Hi Ilja,

      Thanks for bringing up the encode/decode notion. It expresses much
      of what I think about as I work to help the whole team be
      productive. It's a little mechanistic for my current taste, because
      I try hard to think about the human aspects of things, but it's
      still a nice example that I think will help some folks.

      I hope it's clear to all that I don't want to compromise honesty. I
      do want to help to unfold the situation in such a way that all our
      concern, creativity, and power can come to bear effectively on our
      common interests. I find that thinking about how to speak my truth
      enables me to do better at that.

      Thanks again for working toward understanding and agreement, and for
      offering a model that will probably help some folks get what we're
      talking about.

      How do I know what I think until I hear what I say? -- E M Forster

      On Friday, April 1, 2005, at 1:31:36 AM, Ilja Preuss wrote:

      > I can't speak for Ron, but I have the feeling that both "simply telling the
      > truth" and "carefully couching what I say" have very different meanings to
      > us.

      > One model for communication has a sender who encodes a message and a
      > receiver who decodes it, with the desired effect of transporting an idea
      > from the sender to the receiver.

      > Now, what makes *human* communication both rich and complicated is that
      > there isn't really a perfectly well understood common code for messages.
      > That is, how we encode and decode something does depend on several
      > circumstances: personal style, expectations, current mood, etc.

      > In my experience, most people who say that they are "just telling the truth"
      > don't take the decoding part into account. They tell the truth, but they
      > don't care about wether the receiver, in his current state, is actually able
      > to decode the message in the way it was intended. That's the way I typically
      > decode that phrase.

      > To me, "carefully couching" my words basically means taking the encoding
      > process into account. That is, I don't just encode my message so that it
      > "objectively" transfers the idea in the most truthful way, but I try to
      > encode it in a way that the receiver is most likely to be able to decode it
      > in the most truthful way. With again other words, I care less about the
      > content of the message than about how much of my idea can get reconstructed
      > in the head of the receiver.

      > Does that compute? Does it still sound like "manipulation" to you?
    • Ilja Preuss
      Message 161 of 161 , Apr 22, 2005
        extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com wrote:
        > Ilja,
        >
        > Sometimes it feels nice being around people who know my
        > quirks and are willing to cut me slack around them. But, I
        > learn more and grow around people who expect me to manage
        > myself and my reactions.

        Good point, thanks!

        I suspect that, again, this isn't black or white, but that there is a
        balance somewhere. Need to muse about it...

        Regards, Ilja