Re: [XP] Motivation to Complete Stories

  • Dale Emery
    Message 1 of 161 , Apr 1, 2005
      Hi Ron,

      > With What Certainty
      >
      > We cannot have perfect certainty.

      This says what certainty we can't have. What can we say about
      what certainty we /can/ have?

      > These examples are all over the map, but they're all true.
      > They come at various times after getting the word, and they
      > focus differently on the facts of the situation, people's
      > feelings about the situation, and on the feelings of the
      > customer when she receives the news. They are variously
      > helpful. There might be a "best" one in the list, but there
      > are at least a couple that are contenders for good ways to do
      > things.

      Here's another possible way to say it: "We have set out to
      accomplish Feature Foo, and owing to the fact that Susie hit the
      lottery and had to go to Kauai to pick up the money, we're not
      going to accomplish it."

      What I like about this is it's the way you said it to yourself.
      Now, the way you say it to yourself may not always be a good way
      to say it to the customer, but I'm starting to value this
      heuristic: If the way I say it to myself isn't a good way to say
      it to the customer, I'm probably not saying it well to myself yet.

      Dale

      --
      Dale Emery, Consultant
      Web: http://www.dhemery.com

      They say that "familiarity breeds contempt." I would like to
      remind you that without a degree of familiarity we could not
      breed anything. --Winston Churchill
    • Ilja Preuss
      Message 161 of 161 , Apr 22, 2005
        extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com wrote:
        > Ilja,
        >
        > Sometimes it feels nice being around people who know my
        > quirks and are willing to cut me slack around them. But, I
        > learn more and grow around people who expect me to manage
        > myself and my reactions.

        Good point, thanks!

        I suspect that, again, this isn't black or white, but that there is a
        balance somewhere. Need to muse about it...

        Regards, Ilja