Re: [XP] Motivation to Complete Stories

  • Dale Emery
    Message 1 of 161 , Apr 1, 2005
      Hi Dominic,

      > I have two issues with that. One is that it feels like extra
      > work, so I'm wondering whether it's not something we could
      > leave out and still deliver great software.

      If it feels like extra work, perhaps the person asking you to do
      the accounting isn't clearly expressing the value that the
      accounting creates for them. "Here's how I use the information,
      and how it helps me to do my job well..."

      > The other is that I'm wondering why someone would be wanting
      > that information.

      One possibility: So that they can manage their commitments.
      They've made commitments of their own -- to themselves, to you,
      to others -- based on the estimates and commitments that you have
      made. And given that they aren't doing the work that they've
      committed to, the only resource they have for managing their
      commitments is information from the people doing the work.

      Dale

      --
      Dale Emery, Consultant
      Web: http://www.dhemery.com

      Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from
      insufficient premises. --Samuel Butler
    • Ilja Preuss
      Message 161 of 161 , Apr 22, 2005
        extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com wrote:
        > Ilja,
        >
        > Sometimes it feels nice being around people who know my
        > quirks and are willing to cut me slack around them. But, I
        > learn more and grow around people who expect me to manage
        > myself and my reactions.

        Good point, thanks!

        I suspect that, again, this isn't black or white, but that there is a
        balance somewhere. Need to muse about it...

        Regards, Ilja