Re: [XP] Developers Held Accountable for Estimates

  • Dale Emery
    Message 1 of 50 , Apr 1, 2005
      Hi Stuart,

      > A company I worked for used a certain management training
      > approach that dealt with managing commitments. It was part of
      > "Sportsmind" but please don't interpret what follows as an
      > accurate description of Sportsmind.

      This reminds me of Watts Humphrey's idea of "Commitment
      Discipline," from Managing the Software Process:

      "The elements of an effective commitment are:

      1. The person making the commitment does so willingly.
      2. The commitment is not made lightly; that is, the work
      involved, the resources, and the schedule are carefully considered.
      3. There is agreement between the parties on what is to be done,
      by whom, and when.
      4. The commitment is openly and publicly stated.
      5. The person responsible tries to meet the commitment, even if
      help is needed.
      6. Prior to the committed date, if it is clear that it cannot be
      met, advance notice is given and a new commitment is negotiated."

      > Implicit in that commitment however is the acknowledgement
      > that the world changes, and that includes timescales,
      > priorities, other work, unforeseen issues, and indeed, things
      > like databases being a real bear to work with.

      I'd prefer to have that acknowledgement explicit. Maybe not in
      each commitment, but perhaps in the relationship, so that it's
      clear that commitments made within the relationship fall under
      that acknowledgement.

      Dale

      --
      Dale Emery, Consultant
      Web: http://www.dhemery.com

      They didn't release that film. It escaped. --Samuel Goldwyn
      Message 50 of 50 , Apr 1, 2005
        Hi Dale,

        I would like to underline and agree with your remarks below. I like
        to offer a "gush" where appropriate, but especially in view of all
        the excitement and discussion around this topic, I want to offer
        folks another chance to read your words.

        Thanks,

        Accept your conditions, but not your fate. -- Rod Walsh & Dan Carrison