RE: [XP] Motivation to Complete Stories

  • Ilja Preuss
    Message 1 of 161 , Mar 31, 2005
      Kent,

      I can't speak for Ron, but I have the feeling that both "simply telling the
      truth" and "carefully couching what I say" have very different meanings to
      us.

      One model for communication has a sender who encodes a message and a
      receiver who decodes it, with the desired effect of transporting an idea
      from the sender to the receiver.

      Now, what makes *human* communication both rich and complicated is that
      there isn't really a perfectly well understood common code for messages.
      That is, how we encode and decode something does depend on several
      circumstances: personal style, expectations, current mood, etc.

      In my experience, most people who say that they are "just telling the truth"
      don't take the decoding part into account. They tell the truth, but they
      don't care about wether the receiver, in his current state, is actually able
      to decode the message in the way it was intended. That's the way I typically
      decode that phrase.

      To me, "carefully couching" my words basically means taking the encoding
      process into account. That is, I don't just encode my message so that it
      "objectively" transfers the idea in the most truthful way, but I try to
      encode it in a way that the receiver is most likely to be able to decode it
      in the most truthful way. With again other words, I care less about the
      content of the message than about how much of my idea can get reconstructed
      in the head of the receiver.

      Does that compute? Does it still sound like "manipulation" to you?

      Curious, Ilja
    • Ilja Preuss
      Message 161 of 161 , Apr 22, 2005
        extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com wrote:
        > Ilja,
        >
        > Sometimes it feels nice being around people who know my
        > quirks and are willing to cut me slack around them. But, I
        > learn more and grow around people who expect me to manage
        > myself and my reactions.

        Good point, thanks!

        I suspect that, again, this isn't black or white, but that there is a
        balance somewhere. Need to muse about it...

        Regards, Ilja