Re: [XP] Motivation to Complete Stories

  • John D. Mitchell
    Message 1 of 161 , Mar 31, 2005
      [...]

      > Later they report that people typically find that "speaking up is
      > typically 'worth it' regardless of the actual results." I've found that
      > to be true in my own business relationships.

      > Still, I wonder whether there's some selection bias in the authors'
      > findings. Perhaps, for example, I'm more willing to speak up only in
      > situations where I've decided (perhaps unconsciously) that I'm willing to
      > face whatever results may come.

      Indeed, I find that it's usually a rear-view mirror bias. Yes, part of it
      is, like your example, that you stepped up because you already made the
      "damn the torpedoes" commitment. In most other cases of interviewing,
      people (also) revise history after the fact so as to justify and otherwise
      rationalize the outcome.

      > I find that in situations that require courage, I speak up significantly
      > less than half the time. The people who witness my rare moments of
      > courage tell me that I speak up more often than others.

      Yeah, that's one of the problems that I think Kent is trying to pick away
      at with the shift to issues such as "accountability". Partly it's to make
      it more okay to bring "bad news" out into the open and partly to bring
      things up more often (creating habit) and at smaller levels of granularity
      (so the risk isn't so large).

      A crux of the problem is that the risks are asymmetric. I.e., the
      potential outcomes from speaking up on any given point is almost always
      immediate, much sharper, and more severe than the consequences of remaining
      silent. Humans and human society are wired with that bias so it takes real
      work to overcome.

      Take care,
      John
    • Ilja Preuss
      Message 161 of 161 , Apr 22, 2005
        extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com wrote:
        > Ilja,
        >
        > Sometimes it feels nice being around people who know my
        > quirks and are willing to cut me slack around them. But, I
        > learn more and grow around people who expect me to manage
        > myself and my reactions.

        Good point, thanks!

        I suspect that, again, this isn't black or white, but that there is a
        balance somewhere. Need to muse about it...

        Regards, Ilja