Moderation policy. Was: Re: All Your Eyes Are Belong To Us

  • jhrothjr
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 10 12:47 PM
      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "gumshoo3" <gumshoo3@y...>
      wrote:

      > The title is offensive. Not worth googling. Don't you have editors?

      No. It's probably worth repeating the moderation policy at intervals.
      Here it is.

      We use first post moderation. In other words, once someone convinces a
      moderator that his post is worth passing, nobody looks at any
      subsequent posts. That keeps things flowing swiftly, and it also keeps
      us out of conflict with US laws that apply to liability for content
      moderation.

      This policy was established to filter out various forms of obnoxious
      spam. We've had relatively few people who the moderators have had to
      caution in the past 14 months that we've moderated the mailing list,
      and it's highly likely that it will continue that way. Neither the
      primary moderator (Ron Jeffries) the secondary moderator (that's me)
      or the other backup moderators like to wade into a discussion waving
      the moderation club. At a minimum, it raises questions of conflict of
      interest that we'd rather not deal with.

      As to whether the topic line is offensive, I have no idea, and I
      couldn't care less. The original of the joke has run its multi-year
      course as an infantile comment on Slashdot, for which I am personally
      thankful. If you want to continue this, take it up with the original
      blogger.

      John Roth
      Moderator