convincing customers of not having a fixed price and scope

  • Florian Weber
    Message 1 of 34 , Mar 5, 2005
      hi!

      are there some documents which explain more in detail why it's good for
      the
      customer not to have a fixed price and scope? i've got a customer who
      for
      some reason is really turned off by the idea of not having a fixed
      price andscope.
      they just think it gives them more security.

      i tried to explain to them already that it's a illussion. also we would
      have to
      prepare for the worst case. basically double our estimate to be okay, if
      something really goes wrong.. and that we would have to define all the
      features upfront in full detail, which would makes it harder to
      recognize
      mistakes. the upfront concept will per default always considered 'the
      truth'.
      changes would be very expensive.

      i often heard from people applying xp that they had issues with
      customers,
      because they thought that not having a fixed price/scope would make
      them (the
      customer) take all the risk of the project.

      any suggestions?

      thanks a lot in advance!

      ciao!
      florian
      Message 34 of 34 , Mar 10, 2005
        On Thursday, March 10, 2005, at 9:11:24 AM, Michael Finney wrote:

        > Lean Software Development: An Agile Toolkit for Software Development
        > Managers by Mary Poppendieck

        > Has anyone else read this book? Anything bad about it?

        Super book. Only thing bad about it is that the world needed it
        sooner.

        New and stirring things are belittled because if they are not belittled,
        the humiliating question arises, "Why then are you not taking part in
        them?" -- H. G. Wells