Re: [XP] RE: Do it like I do..................wasRE: Re: SD Times front page article, and

  • Bob.Jarvis@chase.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2005
      It seems to fit nicely into Benjamin Bloom's taxonomy of Learning. We
      start at the Knowledge level (list, define, tell, quote). We can then move
      to Comprehension (summarize, describe, interpret). And then to Application
      (apply, demonstrate, show). We can't jump directly to level 3; we need to
      pass through levels 1 and 2 on the way.

      XPE1 seemed more directed to the Knowledge level. XPE2 seems more at the
      Application level.

      BJ

      --------------------------------
      acockburn@... wrote at about 03/02/2005 09:24 AM

      It's the level 1, level 2, level 3 thing again.

      Level 1 practitioners need specific advice, it's how they get started. The

      advantage of XPE1e was that it gives specific steps to follow, one of the
      few methodologies that does. It's a good starter kit exactly because of the
      explicitness. Level 1 people need rules, not contexts. They will assume
      that the technique works as written, at least for some reasonable set of
      contexts, or else the author wouldn't have written it. This may be seeking
      false assurance, or it may just be looking to get started.

      Level 3 practitioners are the opposite, they need context, not rules. XPE2e

      addresses this side.

      I've not yet seen any hope that levels 1 and 3 can be mixed. It is not that

      level 1 practitioners are dumb or foolish, but it is they way they get
      started.
      (but since they rely on explicit rules, they may indeed be seeking false
      assurances).

      From where I sit, it looks as though Level-1 texts will always be needed.

      Alistair