Re: [XP] XP for a school project?

  • Phlip
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2005
      Ken Chien wrote:

      > This might be a silly question, but for a school project, should one
      > obtain user stories from the professor?

      I explained that to my kid when she entered Pre-K. "The teacher is your
      onsite customer."

      > I want to use XP practices on
      > my school project (an online travel reservation system, using J2EE)
      > but many of the practices may be hard to implement/practice. How
      > would we go about paired programming? (Kind of difficult when
      > everyone works full time.) I've persuaded the team (after many
      > emails, discussions, etc.) to use JUnit, but I'm not so sure they
      > understand TDD.
      >
      > Does anyone have experience using XP in a university setting?

      One Ralph Johnson has taken to using XP exclusively with his fresh-persons.
      Google for him on that topic.

      --
      Phlip
    • Eugene Wallingford
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2005
        >> Does anyone have experience using XP in a university setting?

        I have twice taught a junior/senior level course in agile
        software development in which students all did XP all
        semester. In the fall offering, I served as the on-site
        customer for a small content management system for a book
        author.

        This semester, I am having my freshman CS II students
        use a subset of the XP practices, especially test-first
        programming, small steps, and refactoring. We've done
        a little planning game, though my students have been a
        bit leery about taking that much responsibility for the
        shape of their projects.

        ---- Eugene