Re: [XP] Managers' ills and developers' ills -How to build trust?

  • Dakshinamurthy Karra
    Message 1 of 31 , Mar 1, 2005
      On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 08:00:01 -0600, yahoogroups@...
      <yahoogroups@...> wrote:
      > Meaning that his real world experiance is on very large systems
      > that are notorious for coming in late, over budget and with hordes
      > of defects. Also that he has no current real world experiance; OS/360
      > was a 1960s and 1970s venture.
      >
      > (For anyone reading this and wondering who we're talking about,
      > it's Watts Humphrey.)

      I dont know what he is involved in recently and whether he had any
      "current real world experience". That does not stop me from reading
      his view points. As I read his works, I agree with most of the
      problems he identifies in software development. I do not agree with
      his solutions. His view points are radically different from what my
      own notions tell me.

      Besides, the article clearly talks about "large scale" projects. May
      be a valid discussion should revolve around the 12 questions he
      mentioned and giving perspectives from whatever one believes.

      Thanks and Regards
      KD

      --
      Dakshinamurthy Karra
      CTO, Subex Systems Ltd.(http://www.subexsystems.com)
      Message 31 of 31 , Mar 15, 2005
        In the search to better understand more perspectives, I looked for a
        recent presentation by Mr. Watts Humphrey.

        And happened again, I better understood the general background and
        aims of TSP/PSP from the original author than from second-hand
        material by peripheral or secondary authors.

        The TSP/PSP practice I have observed looks very, very far away from
        what Mr. Humphrey said in this presentation.

        Now, I better understand how TSP/PSP and agile methods could possible
        work harmoniously, I heard it from Mr. Humphrey: PSP/TSP concepts
        guide you to what you should do in order to increase and keep the
        focus on quality. The how is not included, you (a particular member
        and team) must go and figure out how to put those concepts in
        practice (enter agile methods or whatever else).

        And when these perspectives could not possible work together: TSP/PSP
        are better suited for plan-driven methods, the degree of "on the road
        adaptability" is limited; on the other hand agility counts self-
        adaptation, emergent behavior and continuous planning as part of its
        essence and "on the road adaptability" is maximized. If this ability
        is in conflict in a particular context then they don't go
        together.

        Certainly they share a lot of things; I could not say they share a
        common foundation because this is where they are completely different
        because of the principal role of authors and background of inception,
        but they share these (from my short-term memory):

        Components of winning teams:

        Members share a common goal
        Members define their own process and plan
        Team runs its own show
        Management trust the team
        Team does its utmost to meet its commitments
        Don't force people to do or adopt anything
        Management can only enable such teams
        The quality focus is at the individual level
        The collected productivity data belongs and serves the individual and
        the team not management levels
        Focus on how to build trust

        I have a nebulous, unfinished perception that TSP/PSP/CMMI is the
        next version of Taylorism [1] suited for the information revolution,
        a reason why I think so is that it portrays a system of belief based
        on the scientific method for management, whereas agility looks for
        the tenets of the scientific method applied to the design activity
        (which is pretty much the core in software).

        > - http://xperiencingagility.blogspot.com/. I tried to be as open as
        > possible in answering them. I am sure Kent/Ron and so many others in
        > this list can answer those questions better than I did. Please do
        have
        > a look and give your comments.

        I will (time permitting)

        [1] http://www.citerus.se/jsp/se/pnehm04-2-1.jsp