RE: Do it like I do..................wasRE: [XP] Re: SD Times front page article, and issues of accountability

  • Kent Beck
    Message 1 of 79 , Mar 1, 2005
      Dakshinamurthy,

      Thank you for taking the time to think about and contrast your reaction to
      the two editions. From what you wrote below, it sounds to me like you are
      placing the responsibility for your pairing or not pairing on me. This
      doesn't make sense to me. You chose to work in a way that improved your team
      effectiveness.

      Kent Beck
      Three Rivers Institute

    • glbrown@inebraska.com
      Message 79 of 79 , Mar 22, 2005
        Quoting Kent Beck <kentb@...>:

        > Gary,
        >
        > When playing a game, you artificially limit the variability of the
        > environment. When developing software, you have to deal with the full
        > panoply of human variability. That's why following simple rules doesn't work
        > in software development. That said, there is commonality of principle and
        > practice to some of the good ways to develop software, which is why
        > expressing values, principles, and practices is helpful.
        >
        > Kent Beck
        > Three Rivers Institute

        I agree with you. My point was that XPE1 is a very good starting point for
        beginning XP teams. I'm sure that there are other good starting points. I
        think that teams ought to adjust their practices, after they know what works
        for them, what doesn't, and why. I think that the only way to know those
        things are to do the practices for a sufficient period of time (probably 3 - 6
        months).

        All of the teams that I have worked with have struggled with one or more of the
        practices, with predictable results. I have had a meeting with each of my
        teams, before iteration 1, where we agreed as a team to follow the practices
        for 12 weeks, then decide if we want to adjust. In no case were we perfect,
        but
        we got better over time.

        GB.