Need a good XP book…any suggestions?

  • NordiqueStar Bengals
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2005
      Hi

      I've been working as a software engineer now for 7 1/5 years using
      DSDM, however, the company are looking at moving towards XP. Can
      anybody suggest a good XP book to read? In particular I would like to
      read-up on how XP deals with a late requirement.

      Many Thanks
      Heidi
    • Brandon Campbell
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2005
        Extreme Programming Explained: Embrace Change by Kent Beck
        Extreme Programming Installed by Ron Jeffries, et al
        Planning Extreme Programming by Kent Beck, Martin Fowler

        Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code by Martin Fowler, et al
        Unit Testing in Java: How Tests Drive the Code by Johannes Link
        Working Effectively with Legacy Code by Michael Feathers

        for others

        http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index%3Dblended%26field-keywords%3DExtreme%252520Programming%26store-name%3Dall-product-search/002-1901161-3307232

        --
        Brandon Campbell
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2005
          On Wednesday, February 2, 2005, at 2:05:03 AM, NordiqueStar Bengals wrote:

          > I've been working as a software engineer now for 7 1/5 years using
          > DSDM, however, the company are looking at moving towards XP. Can
          > anybody suggest a good XP book to read? In particular I would like to
          > read-up on how XP deals with a late requirement.

          The book suggestions that have been offered are good ones. I would
          also recommend a look at other books in the Agile arena, for a
          broader view of what this is all about.

          Regarding late requirements, I'm not aware of anyone addressing that
          topic extensively. I think the short answer is that teams working in
          an appropriate style, such as that discussed in these circles, can
          implement stories (features, requirements) in the order received and
          works so as to be pretty indifferent to order.

          That may sound odd, impossible, or insensitive to reality, but it's
          a good first approximation to what I believe. Please tell us a bit
          more about your question and we'll see what comes up. Maybe a new
          thread called "Late Requirements" or something?

          Master your instrument, master the music,
          and then forget all that *!xy!@ and just play. -- Charlie Parker
        • Christoph Kemp
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 2, 2005
            Ron Jeffries wrote:

            >Regarding late requirements, I'm not aware of anyone addressing that
            >topic extensively. I think the short answer is that teams working in
            >an appropriate style, such as that discussed in these circles, can
            >implement stories (features, requirements) in the order received and
            >works so as to be pretty indifferent to order.

            Martin Fowler wrote an article "The New Methodology"
            (http://martinfowler.com/articles/newMethodology.html)
            In this article he highlights the adaptive nature of agile
            methodologies. Maybe this article can give you a first impression how
            agile methodologies deal with changing / late requirements.
            Regards,
            Christoph

          • NordiqueStar Bengals
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 2, 2005
              Thanks for the link...and thanks to all who have suggested books. I
              think a little `light' reading is in order

              Heidi

              > Martin Fowler wrote an article "The New Methodology"
              > (http://martinfowler.com/articles/newMethodology.html)
              > In this article he highlights the adaptive nature of agile
              > methodologies. Maybe this article can give you a first impression
              how
              > agile methodologies deal with changing / late requirements.
              > Regards,
              > Christoph

              31.01.2005