Re: [XP] Re: XP in non xp environment?

  • Robert Watkins
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 1, 2005
      SirGilligan wrote:

      > I do this one thing and try to do it consistently: Test First.
      >
      > I write unit tests for my code. I sometimes write a little code and
      > then a little test, I sometimes write a little test and then a little
      > code. I am trying to do the latter more than the other.

      It's great that you do this. However, because you are the only person doing
      it, please remember to run the tests whenever you check out your code as
      well; someone may have changed something that your tests depend on. Also,
      look for _other_ people tinkering with your tests.

      > Before I check my code in I run my tests.
      >
      > What I can not do as a whole:
      > Sit Together
      > Energized Work
      > Pair Programming (because the others a busy, but walk throughs can
      > happen)
      > Stories (we have formal docs because of the process)
      > Weekly Cycle (but I hear we are going to weekly reflections)
      > Quarterly Cycle
      > Ten Minute Build
      > Continuous Integration

      Let's tackle this list. There are parts of this list that you can do.

      You, and you alone, can do Energized Work on your own part. You can
      structure your workload so that you don't work excessive overtime, and you
      can structure your private life to give you plenty of R&R. It's also your
      responsibility to come into work enthused and energized. This may be a
      dangerous practice if your work culture is one of excessive overtime, however.

      You can start informal pairing by making yourself available for pairing.
      Listen for other people asking (possibly non-verbally) for help, and offer
      it to them. Over time, start asking for help back. From this process,
      informal pairing can evolve.

      You can tackle a weekly cycle for yourself. It's not hard: determine, at
      the start of the week, what you are going to do for the rest of the week.
      Do it. At the end, reflect on what you did. If your boss overrides your
      plan, point out to him or her the impact on what you had planned to do.

      The ten-minute build problem is interesting. You may be able to tackle
      this, you may not. What you probably can do is analyse why your build takes
      as long as it does, then start campaiging for it. However... I would
      defer this one until you've tackled continuous integration.

      You can easily start a continuous integration bandwagon. This environment
      is tailored made for an automated build system, such as CruiseControl.
      Install an instance on your own machine. If the build process is too
      draining to run during the day, run it only at night. Get the "BUILD
      FAILED" notices spreading around the team, so that people know that the
      build is in a bad state. Take it from there. That's how I introduced CI
      into my workplace, two jobs back.

      Should you do these things right now? Maybe not. You indicated that there
      are things that you already do when you can. Promoting change, especially
      in an apathetic environment, is a slow process (as I found out in my
      previous job). If you take on too much at once, it can easily burn you out.

      Robert.

      --
      "Software is too expensive to build cheaply"
      Robert Watkins http://twasink.net/ robertdw@...
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 1, 2005
        yahoogroups@... wrote:
        > A thorough
        > examination of FIT will bend your mind: Ward is a wizard programmer.

        Reading the source code for FIT made me realise how many of my programming
        techniques are utterly defensive in nature. My mind kept screaming "Unsafe!
        Unsafe!" Writing code in that particular style scares me because I know _I_
        would screw it up. Maybe one day I can take my training wheels off too... ;)
        --
        "Software is too expensive to build cheaply"
        Robert Watkins http://twasink.net/ robertdw@...
      • Michael Brunton-Spall
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 2, 2005
          Apologies Ron,
          I looked back and in the 'OT -Same "stupid" arguments, and old
          methodologies' thread, Kent and Charles were talking about it, and it
          stuck in my mind, but I guess it must have stuck in my mind as the sort
          of thing you would say... :)

          The bit in question was...
          Charles Said:
          > Kent Beck wrote:
          > > Charles,
          > >
          > > Few people would say in public that their software development
          process
          > > valued cowardice, secrecy, complexity, isolation, and elitism. Most
          of my
          > > clients will admit that at least some subset of these are their de
          facto
          > > values, however. The ones where no one will admit that their values
          are
          > > messed up are the ones where I don't last long.
          > I think you're saying that few places admit they *reward*
          > cowardice, secrecy, etc, but in fact they do.
          <snip>
          > In the absence of some countering payoff, cowardice *is* rewarded,
          > although I bet those places would say they reward "caution", or that
          > they "don't like to take unneeded risks."

          That was what I was referring to with the value cowardice, which I
          thought was a very good way of putting the fact that some companies seem
          to state that they are Cautious or don't take unneeded risks, and are in
          fact valuing cowardice.

          Anyway, sorry for attributing it to you Ron, no offence intended

          Mib
          Software Engineer

        • J. B. Rainsberger
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 4, 2005
            Michael Brunton-Spall wrote:

            > I was hoping to start a discussion about what practices can be
            > implemented under the radar of management oversight, and what advantages
            > or disadvantages that may have.
            >
            > I was obviously interested in which practices can be done subtly, and
            > which are simply not able to be done without management interaction.

            When I worked at IBM, I did what some call XP for One. This is an
            outline of what I did:

            * weekly cycle

            During the status meeting I presented what I achieved in the
            just-finished iteration. After the meeting I spent an hour in the
            afternoon talking my customer (who was internal) about what I could do
            in the coming few weeks. We went over priorities and risks and settled
            on what to do for the coming week. I would put this information into a
            spreadsheet and send a copy to my manager. I broke down features small
            enough that each could be done in 1-2 days.

            * test-driven development with domain-driven design

            Since I was a team of one, it was easy to carve out my section of the
            design and test-drive new features. Integrating with the rest of the
            product presented challenges, and I wrote about them. ("Use your
            singletons wisely" came out of that project.) I was able to drive the
            design from the domain outward, adding persistence last. (Better
            Software, April 2004, feature article.)

            (For me, TDD includes Refactoring, in case you're wondering where that
            went.)

            * continuous integration

            I committed code on average every half day. I had to write additional
            integration tests to make this safe, but then, the requirements for
            committing code were lax. (If it built, that's all that mattered; and
            working in Visual Age for Java, you always knew whether it built.)

            * informative workspace

            Anyone who wanted to know how I was doing could read my cubicle door,
            which included a burndown chart and which stories were in plan for the
            next few weeks.

            * on-site customer

            I was fortunate in that I was writing code for another programmer, so I
            had an on-site customer. He was quite active, answering questions
            relatively quickly and willing to spend an hour per week planning with
            me. Our relationship was quite good.

            I was able to do all this without changing the way I interacted with
            management:

            * I still reported status like anyone else, and my reports were based
            on projections of actual data, rather than gut feelings

            * I followed the rules for committing code, and even worked with the
            build team to increase the effectiveness of their automation

            * I attended meetings and participated, but reported at the end of the
            week how much time I spent away from writing code and how that affected
            my schedule

            My immediate manager appreciated what I was doing and was happy to be
            involved on a more day-to-day basis, because she felt she was working
            with me, rather than babysitting me. I certainly liked that.

            Had I not had an on-site customer, I would likely have done a poorer job
            of delivering the right features, but I think I would have done a good
            job at delivering working features. In that environment, working code
            was enough to stand out.

            I hope this helps.
            --
            J. B. (Joe) Rainsberger
            Diaspar Software Services
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 8, 2005
              Michael,

              What is your anti-XP organization in favor of? Could you apply XP to give it
              more of that?

              Kent Beck
              Three Rivers

              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 9, 2005
                Accordingly, it seems like a skunk works is the wrong starting point;
                that pretty much implies going behind someone's back. If you do indeed
                have a manager who paranoically looks over your shoulder and forbids you
                even to use JUnit, well, then you've got problems, but that scenario
                seems pretty unlikely. I've faced a lot of these obstacles, too, MBS, so
                I don't dismiss them. I had to be patient, and pick my battles sensibly,
                which is not to say that I won them all. The proof, for the manager, was
                in the pudding (i.e., an error-free and properly performant
                deliverable); he didn't care about my "XP is great" spiel, which I was
                unqualified to deliver anyway. Yes, *I'd* have done better work if
                everyone on this site had been test-infected, but they weren't; c'est la
                vie for a contractor. One thing is certain: I couldn't go into a
                customer site hoping to practice stealth there; one has to resist the
                temptation to regard a customer in that fashion.

                Kent Beck wrote:

                >Michael,
                >
                >What is your anti-XP organization in favor of? Could you apply XP to give it
                >more of that?
                >
                >Kent Beck
                >Three Rivers

              • Michael Brunton-Spall
                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 9, 2005
                  Thanks for the responses,

                  I'm not sure I understood that last post however Tony,

                  You say that implementing XP in a stealthy manner is probably not a good
                  start, a point which I think everybody would agree with, ideally, one
                  can convince the company to allow XP to be performed freely by everybody
                  on the team. This is obviously better as it enables the free
                  information flow in the team, ensures that the development process is
                  supported and so on.

                  However there are cases whereby one may not be allowed to do that, it is
                  in those cases that I am interested.

                  You then said that the proof was in the pudding, i.e. error free and
                  properly performing software, I don't understand how if your manager is
                  opposed to the idea of practicing XP, how you can prove that it works
                  without performing XP by stealth.

                  The two possibilities that spring to mind are,
                  1) You argued for say, the introduction of nUnit (for any value of
                  n), the manager agreed, and you demonstrated that business improvement
                  of implementing a single practice of xp.
                  2) Your manager agreed to allow you to develop in any way you
                  wished, and you were able to develop the system according to XP
                  principles wherever possible.

                  I agree that both are very valid ways of slowly introducing XP to an
                  environment where people may be opposed to XP by name, but don't truly
                  understand it, and so wont notice if you introduce the practices one at
                  a time, or if your organisation is willing to allow developers or teams
                  of developers to use whatever method of development they wish providing
                  they meet the organisation requirements, (i.e. status meeting twice a
                  month or something).

                  The area I was interested in was exploring all the different ways of
                  bringing XP in, especially in adverse conditions so to speak.

                  With regard to my personal development conditions, I have given up hope
                  of convincing my development organisation that XP is of any use. I am
                  in a junior development position, and we program mainly in C++. Suffice
                  to say that the organisation will not accept XP, or agile methods as a
                  possible development methodology.
                  I am not and have not been asking Questions on here for my works
                  benefit, instead for my own elucidation and personal development. So
                  consider them abstract questions, or thought experiments for now :)

                  (ah, funny mood today, just wrote 3 paragraphs of badness about my work
                  then deleted it realising that a) you lot don't care, and b) it's
                  probably not ethical to complain about my place of work via my company
                  email address to a global audience!)

                  Mib
                  Software Engineer

                • banshee858
                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 9, 2005

                    > (ah, funny mood today, just wrote 3 paragraphs of badness about my
                    > work then deleted it realising that a) you lot don't care, and b) it's
                    > probably not ethical to complain about my place of work via my company
                    > email address to a global audience!)

                    Good move. I got fired for doing the same thing. While getting fired
                    was a "bad thing", it ended up being good since I learned how much BS
                    I can tolerate before it is time to move on.

                    Carlton
                  • Dakshinamurthy Karra
                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 9, 2005
                      On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 16:39:06 -0000, Michael Brunton-Spall
                      <mib@...> wrote:
                      > With regard to my personal development conditions, I have given up hope
                      > of convincing my development organisation that XP is of any use. I am
                      > in a junior development position, and we program mainly in C++. Suffice
                      > to say that the organisation will not accept XP, or agile methods as a
                      > possible development methodology.
                      XP is much more than *some* set of practices - though the practices
                      are important. You can still practice XP and get the benifits from
                      whatever practices that you can follow.
                      1. Did you look at cppunit/cxxunit (both hosted on sf.net) for UT
                      frameworks. It is nice to practice TDD and it might not clash with
                      anything your manager wants. You don't need to check-in the UTs into
                      the source safe if it is not possible.
                      2. You can intereact more with the tester/customer (whichever role is
                      available) to ensure that what you develop is more useful.
                      All said and done, the context provides you a set of practices that
                      you can follow without disrupting current team practices.

                      Good luck.

                      Thanks and Regards
                      KD
                      --
                      Dakshinamurthy Karra
                      CTO, Subex Systems Ltd.(http://www.subexsystems.com)
                      Message 10 of 21 , Feb 11, 2005
                        Michael,

                        Giving up hope of changing others sounds like a positive step. Now you can
                        focus on what you can change about how you work. I encourage you not to
                        treat this as an abstract or academic exercise, but to try to put what you
                        learn here to work at work. The feedback will help you learn faster.

                        Kent Beck
                        Three Rivers Institute

                        Message 11 of 21 , Feb 11, 2005
                          Michael

                          I have just finished a book called Fearless Change -
                          Patterns for Introducing New Ideas by Manns & Rising.

                          You may find the patterns of use if you would like to
                          instigate change in your organisation.

                          For example:

                          Just Do It - use the new idea in your own work to
                          discover its benefits and limitations.

                          Good luck
                          Shane

                          --- Kent Beck <kentb@...> wrote:

                          > Michael,
                          >
                          > Giving up hope of changing others sounds like a
                          > positive step. Now you can
                          > focus on what you can change about how you work. I
                          > encourage you not to
                          > treat this as an abstract or academic exercise, but
                          > to try to put what you
                          > learn here to work at work. The feedback will help
                          > you learn faster.
                          >
                          > Kent Beck
                          > Three Rivers Institute

                          =====

                          Shane Mingins

                          shanemingins@...

                          please remove clothes before emailing

                          The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
                          http://my.yahoo.com
                        • Devin Mullins
                          Message 12 of 21 , Feb 12, 2005
                            Michael,

                            1. Why are others having linking errors with your unit tested code?
                            Can't they just not compile & link the unit tests?

                            2. Stealthy can bite you in the butt if your manager finds out. Instead,
                            tell your boss, "Unit tests are the only way I have of producing
                            error-free and speedy code, plus they have the added bonus of
                            encouraging my code to be cheaper to reuse and maintain in the future
                            (i.e. service-oriented, if you're looking for a buzz word)." Don't speak
                            for the whole team; just speak for you. Notice two things:
                            a)you said explicitly that if you don't use unit tests, you WILL
                            introduce errors and the code will perform suboptimally. Mentally, your
                            boss is going to have to decide to introduce errors and slowness if he
                            decides against unit tests for you, and that's something his conscience
                            is less likely to do.
                            b)You used the word "cheaper." That's a word a manager can get behind.
                            Now, if you don't succeed at convincing, you really have no option but
                            to produce buggy and slow code, like the manager asked. If you
                            originally argued this in email, then you'll have something with which
                            to CYA if it really is discovered to be buggy and slow. I know from
                            similar experience that my boss would say, "Hey, I appreciate you being
                            proactive about the success of our product. Is this something other
                            people could use?" but YMMV. You're a better judge of your own
                            corporation's culture.

                            3. The nice thing about XP is that you can implement most of the
                            practices one at a time. When you pair program, you don't have to call
                            it by name. Just say, "Hey, Jeff, I'm a little uncertain about this
                            change. When you get a second, could you help me out here? I'd really
                            appreciate a second set of eyes on this one."

                            Hope that helps,
                            Devin