How do you bring people up to your level?

  • banshee858
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2005

      > It sounds to me like you did an effective job of presenting to your
      > immediate manager. She took the information you presented and
      > applied it to her most immediate problem. It sounds like you
      > created an opening for change.

      Absolutely. She had a problem and I provided an Agile-based solution
      which proved to be successful. A small accomplishment, but an
      accomplishment nonetheless.

      > From your post it sounds like you expected her to understand
      > everything you had to say all at once, which in my experience never
      > happens. The ideas that have changed the way I look at the world
      > have taken me months or years to grasp fully, even if I have an
      > instantaneous "conversion" experience.

      That is the problem I encounter when I think about something for a
      long time and really get into it. I easily fall into the trap of
      expecting people to be operating at the same level I are, but often
      that is not the case. I think I need to learn how to bring other
      people up to my level, but not resort to lecturing at them with
      powerpoint slide. Not sure how to do that, yet.

      Also, I was under the false impression that I was an "approved change
      agent" to push along improvements and increase technical quality. It
      became pretty clear to me my manager thought I was "just a guy with a
      bunch of good ideas" from the types of assignments I was given .
      Hey, that is fine since I was not specifically hired to be a coach,
      JustAProgrammer. Unfortunately, the technical maturity here was so
      poor - my team had the idea "unit tests" are the tests programmers
      run through the UI before handing off to QA - and there was no real
      driving force to improve, I felt that I would be happier in another
      organization that was at the same level of technical excellence as
      myself. It was a good move for all parties.

      Carlton