Re: [XP] Re: Eclipse vs. Ant builds

  • Charles R Martin
    Message 1 of 40 , Jan 26, 2005
      Ilja Preuss wrote:
      > Charles R Martin wrote:
      >
      >>Ilja Preuss wrote:
      >>
      >>>Charles R Martin wrote:
      >

      >>>Per default settings, Eclipse compiles after every save action, and
      >>>in most cases it takes virtually no time. As a consequence, you
      >>>*always* have a ready to run project - actually even if there are
      >>>compile time errors, as the Eclipse compiler is able to even compile
      >>>classes with syntax errors.
      >>
      >>And eclipse runs the tests --- unit tests, acceptance tests --- that
      >>you'd run in an ant build?
      >

      > It can be configured to do that, yes. Especially Junit tests can be run
      > quite seamlessly.
      >

      >>Are we comparing apples with boxes full of
      >>apples?
      >

      > I don't think so, and I feel a little bit hurt by the arrogant tone your
      > question seems to have. I begin to wonder about your motivation for this
      > conversation.

      Werll, I'm sorry if I've hurt your feelings, I don't mean to. My
      motivation is to gain information; as I said at the start, I don't use
      eclipse much. My sense of elegance is a little offended by having to
      maintain two different build processes though --- in refactoring terms,
      it has a little bit of a bad smell --- so I want to make sure I
      understand the reasons for having two build processes.
    • Charles R Martin
      Message 40 of 40 , Jan 26, 2005