Re: [XP] Asynchronous versus synchronous continuous integration

  • Robert Watkins
    Message 1 of 117 , Jan 2, 2005
      Gary Feldman wrote:
      > Why do you say that? I recently deployed Emma (Java coverage) in our
      > build file for one component, making it both fast and easy for
      > developers to get coverage data. It's trivial for the developers to
      > run, and it creates a good target for them when doing after-the-fact
      > unit testing. (This isn't an XP or TDD shop - yet.)

      I don't know about Emma, but the one that I use (Clover) can't be used
      readily in conjunction with a production-like environment. Having to blow
      away and rebuild just because you want to deploy an application gets really
      annoying (this, BTW, is exactly what the CruiseControl build target does).

      --
      "Software is too expensive to build cheaply"
      Robert Watkins http://twasink.net/ robertdw@...
      Message 117 of 117 , Jan 18, 2005
        On Monday 17 January 2005 17:26, Jeff Grigg wrote:
        > > --- Robert Watkins wrote:
        > >> Personally, I find long builds offensive, _even if they
        > >> aren't causing me any pain_. The "Build Successful"
        > >> message is feedback, and I want to reduce the time that
        > >> feedback takes to arrive.
        >
        > --- Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@X...> wrote:
        > > In what way are they offensive?
        >
        > Let's say it's Friday. At 5:23 P.M. I just checked in my changes
        > and I want to go home. But what if it takes Cruise Control 15
        > minutes to run all the tests? Should I wait until it completes,
        > confirming that my changes were good, before I leave for the
        > weekend? What if it takes half an hour? What if it takes an hour?

        I have learnt the hard way the following rule: never check significant
        modifications in (in our case, to SourceForge) ten minutes before
        going home time on a Friday, or indeed any other day of the week.
        Because, even if all the tests pass, even if you updated just recently,
        *that* will be when you forgot to cvs-add the new tiny class, and when
        the connection to SF is taking place along a stretch of salty string,
        and the fetch-code-into-paranoia-directory step takes forever, and
        *then* you discover there's a problem, and you've come in by train
        not car so an extra ten minutes isn't fatter traffic-jams and twenty
        minutes extra on the commute, it's getting home an *hour* later ...

        --
        Chris "electric hedgehog" Dollin