RE: [XP] A Plug-in to XP: XA (eXtreme Analysis) >> case study presentation

  • Kent Beck
    Message 1 of 98 , Jan 1, 2005
      What should you do if the team only has enough well-understood stories to
      keep half the developers busy? One answer is to implement poorly-understood
      stories just to keep the developers busy. Another is to have the un-needed
      developers work to increase the capacity of the team as a whole (automation,
      training, refactoring).

      Ohno in Toyota Production System tells the story of a team that only had
      enough work for 3.5 people. If the work is spread equally between the whole
      team then it's hard to see that the team has spare capacity. If instead you
      load 3 people 100%, then the half idle time of the fourth member is obvious.
      If the team can improve their productivity a little they can free up one
      person to contribute elsewhere.

      Kent Beck
      Three Rivers Institute

        =====