RE: [XP] Optional Scope Contract Samples

  • Kent Beck
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 1, 2005
      I don't have a sample contract. The times I've worked this way the contracts
      have been verbal, not written.

      There were some comments about what to call these contracts. One analogy I
      found with the help of Greg Betty at Intelliware is "target costing". Target
      cost product development starts with a target cost (a $400 digital camera,
      for example). From that you can figure out how much you can pay to
      manufacture the product. The goal is to pack as much functionality as
      possible into the product given the price, either by reducing the cost of
      components or the cost of assembly. This process is called value
      engineering. I think Bill Wake's ideas about unbundling point to an
      effective way to do this in software development.

      You could write a target cost software development contract by specifying
      how much the contract would cost, along with the quality levels/practices
      and the process for choosing scope. The difference between fixed cost and
      target cost is that fixed cost contracts imply that the scope is fixed,
      while target cost contracts explicitly float the scope. One thing I like
      about target cost is that choosing scope is a value-added activity where
      choosing scope in fixed cost contracts is a transaction cost (the principle
      of opportunity at work).

      Kent Beck
      Three Rivers Institute

      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 17, 2005
        The Poppendiecks had a workshop on that. Check the following link and especially the Optional Scope Contract from Quinary:

        http://www.poppendieck.com/agilecontractsworkshop1.htm

        HTH,
        Dadi.