Re: [XP] Asynchronous versus synchronous continuous integration

  • Jason Yip
    Message 1 of 117 , Jan 1, 2005
      <ronjeffries@X...> wrote:
      > On Saturday, January 1, 2005, at 11:39:50 AM, Steve Berczuk wrote:
      >
      > > Hmm, Why isn't there a place in the process for a set of exhaustive
      > > tests that use many resources to ensure that the application works
      > > correctly? If you had such tests it is plausable that they may take a
      > > long time. I agree that the tests that developers run to ensure that
      > > the build works shoud be quick. But I think that you would want to run
      > > more exhaustive tests. And run these asynchronously.
      >
      > Use of "many resources" will not make the tests better.
      >
      > Running them asynchronously is done because they take a long time.
      > The fact that it takes a long time to know if you've done good work
      > is the bug. Fix it.

      I think the distinction is more clear if we exchange "know if" with
      "be confident that"... and then ask how confident?

      Running them asynchronously is done because they take a long time and
      the additional confidence they provide is not enough to justify
      waiting, though it is enough to justify running them.
    • Chris Dollin
      Message 117 of 117 , Jan 18, 2005
        On Monday 17 January 2005 17:26, Jeff Grigg wrote:
        > > --- Robert Watkins wrote:
        > >> Personally, I find long builds offensive, _even if they
        > >> aren't causing me any pain_. The "Build Successful"
        > >> message is feedback, and I want to reduce the time that
        > >> feedback takes to arrive.
        >
        > --- Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@X...> wrote:
        > > In what way are they offensive?
        >
        > Let's say it's Friday. At 5:23 P.M. I just checked in my changes
        > and I want to go home. But what if it takes Cruise Control 15
        > minutes to run all the tests? Should I wait until it completes,
        > confirming that my changes were good, before I leave for the
        > weekend? What if it takes half an hour? What if it takes an hour?

        I have learnt the hard way the following rule: never check significant
        modifications in (in our case, to SourceForge) ten minutes before
        going home time on a Friday, or indeed any other day of the week.
        Because, even if all the tests pass, even if you updated just recently,
        *that* will be when you forgot to cvs-add the new tiny class, and when
        the connection to SF is taking place along a stretch of salty string,
        and the fetch-code-into-paranoia-directory step takes forever, and
        *then* you discover there's a problem, and you've come in by train
        not car so an extra ten minutes isn't fatter traffic-jams and twenty
        minutes extra on the commute, it's getting home an *hour* later ...

        --
        Chris "electric hedgehog" Dollin