Re: [XP] Asynchronous versus synchronous continuous integration

    Message 1 of 117 , Jan 1, 2005
      On Saturday, January 1, 2005, at 10:50:09 AM, Steve Berczuk wrote:

      > Three questions about your expeciences:
      > - Can only one team integrate/build at a time?

      Generally, yes, that's the model. A couple of pairs might decide,
      for some reason, to combine their stuff.

      > - How long does the Integration Build take?

      As little time as possible. Ten minutes.

      > - How often does the integration build fail when people check in
      > changes only after a successful Private System Build/Test in their
      > workspace?

      Occasionally. Each time is an "occasion" to reduce the chance of it
      happening again. Common causes that I recall are:

      - someone integrated improperly before, left the system in an
      unknown broken state. (yes, I know that Jason's approach, or
      Cruise Control "fixes" this.)

      - something important on the local system wasn't transferred to
      the build system.

      - some conversion or migration code wasn't robust enough.

      - hardware differences weren't correctly accomodated.

      > (Happy New Year ;) )

      And to all.

      Do, or do not. There is no try. --Yoda
    • Chris Dollin
      Message 117 of 117 , Jan 18, 2005
        On Monday 17 January 2005 17:26, Jeff Grigg wrote:
        > > --- Robert Watkins wrote:
        > >> Personally, I find long builds offensive, _even if they
        > >> aren't causing me any pain_. The "Build Successful"
        > >> message is feedback, and I want to reduce the time that
        > >> feedback takes to arrive.
        >
        > --- Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@X...> wrote:
        > > In what way are they offensive?
        >
        > Let's say it's Friday. At 5:23 P.M. I just checked in my changes
        > and I want to go home. But what if it takes Cruise Control 15
        > minutes to run all the tests? Should I wait until it completes,
        > confirming that my changes were good, before I leave for the
        > weekend? What if it takes half an hour? What if it takes an hour?

        I have learnt the hard way the following rule: never check significant
        modifications in (in our case, to SourceForge) ten minutes before
        going home time on a Friday, or indeed any other day of the week.
        Because, even if all the tests pass, even if you updated just recently,
        *that* will be when you forgot to cvs-add the new tiny class, and when
        the connection to SF is taking place along a stretch of salty string,
        and the fetch-code-into-paranoia-directory step takes forever, and
        *then* you discover there's a problem, and you've come in by train
        not car so an extra ten minutes isn't fatter traffic-jams and twenty
        minutes extra on the commute, it's getting home an *hour* later ...

        --
        Chris "electric hedgehog" Dollin