Re: [XP] Asynchronous versus synchronous continuous integration

    Message 1 of 117 , Jan 1, 2005
      On Friday, December 31, 2004, at 5:32:26 PM, Jason Yip wrote:

      >> > - The team is responsible for broken builds, not any particular
      >> > individual or pair. Particular individuals or pairs involved in the
      >> > latest change will be most capable in helping fix a broken build.
      >>
      >> In the manual build case, if the build breaks, you know you did it.
      >> The pair who need the learning are the pair presented with the
      >> opportunity.

      > Yes. This is the advantage of the purely sequential CI style. I
      > would say however, that it is not always *just* the pair that needs
      > the learning.

      True, but I wouldn't send the whole tribe out after every rabbit
      that runs by the village. I'd trust the hunters to bring back
      anything of interest.

      Fatalism is born of the fear of failure, for we all believe that we carry
      success in our own hands, and we suspect that our hands are weak. -- Conrad
    • Chris Dollin
      Message 117 of 117 , Jan 18, 2005
        On Monday 17 January 2005 17:26, Jeff Grigg wrote:
        > > --- Robert Watkins wrote:
        > >> Personally, I find long builds offensive, _even if they
        > >> aren't causing me any pain_. The "Build Successful"
        > >> message is feedback, and I want to reduce the time that
        > >> feedback takes to arrive.
        >
        > --- Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@X...> wrote:
        > > In what way are they offensive?
        >
        > Let's say it's Friday. At 5:23 P.M. I just checked in my changes
        > and I want to go home. But what if it takes Cruise Control 15
        > minutes to run all the tests? Should I wait until it completes,
        > confirming that my changes were good, before I leave for the
        > weekend? What if it takes half an hour? What if it takes an hour?

        I have learnt the hard way the following rule: never check significant
        modifications in (in our case, to SourceForge) ten minutes before
        going home time on a Friday, or indeed any other day of the week.
        Because, even if all the tests pass, even if you updated just recently,
        *that* will be when you forgot to cvs-add the new tiny class, and when
        the connection to SF is taking place along a stretch of salty string,
        and the fetch-code-into-paranoia-directory step takes forever, and
        *then* you discover there's a problem, and you've come in by train
        not car so an extra ten minutes isn't fatter traffic-jams and twenty
        minutes extra on the commute, it's getting home an *hour* later ...

        --
        Chris "electric hedgehog" Dollin