Re: [XP] Asynchronous versus synchronous continuous integration

  • Steve Berczuk
    Message 1 of 117 , Dec 31, 2004
      On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 18:16:05 -0500, Ron Jeffries
      <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
      > I was still talking about Jason's proposal to run the tests
      > automatically and not commit the stuff that doesn't build, bouncing
      > it back to the devs. Have I missed a turn somewhere?

      I think so. Jason (and please correct me if I misunderstand!) was
      talking about DEVELOPER pre-commit tests followed by MORE EXTENSIVE
      post-commit tests in the integration environment. The Post Commit
      build and test happens asynch, but only after there is a synch
      developer step to be somewhat sure that the build is not broken...
      Maybe it was a fork in the road rather than a turn (a la Yogi Berra:
      If you see a fork in the road, take it -- you'll end up in the same
      place!)

      -Steve

      --
      Steve Berczuk | steve@... | http://www.berczuk.com
      SCM Patterns: Effective Teamwork, Practical Integration
      Message 117 of 117 , Jan 18, 2005
        On Monday 17 January 2005 17:26, Jeff Grigg wrote:
        > > --- Robert Watkins wrote:
        > >> Personally, I find long builds offensive, _even if they
        > >> aren't causing me any pain_. The "Build Successful"
        > >> message is feedback, and I want to reduce the time that
        > >> feedback takes to arrive.
        >
        > --- Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@X...> wrote:
        > > In what way are they offensive?
        >
        > Let's say it's Friday. At 5:23 P.M. I just checked in my changes
        > and I want to go home. But what if it takes Cruise Control 15
        > minutes to run all the tests? Should I wait until it completes,
        > confirming that my changes were good, before I leave for the
        > weekend? What if it takes half an hour? What if it takes an hour?

        I have learnt the hard way the following rule: never check significant
        modifications in (in our case, to SourceForge) ten minutes before
        going home time on a Friday, or indeed any other day of the week.
        Because, even if all the tests pass, even if you updated just recently,
        *that* will be when you forgot to cvs-add the new tiny class, and when
        the connection to SF is taking place along a stretch of salty string,
        and the fetch-code-into-paranoia-directory step takes forever, and
        *then* you discover there's a problem, and you've come in by train
        not car so an extra ten minutes isn't fatter traffic-jams and twenty
        minutes extra on the commute, it's getting home an *hour* later ...

        --
        Chris "electric hedgehog" Dollin