The tale of the Way too Hard Deadline and the proactive Test Team

  • John Carter
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 5, 2004
      I'm still thinking about this one.

      There was this project see, really stinking hard deadline, too close in
      Real Time, let alone Man Years. (This is large team / multi-discipline
      development not classic XP.)

      So in the scramble, the requirements documents were coming in two late too
      sketchy.

      Now the Test Team bossman had been bitten by this before. The last project
      had been dumped on his lap, late and with bad requirements. (Remember,
      requirements are the fodder of testers from which they produce test
      cases).

      So the bossman of the Test Team did something interesting this time.

      Long before the product landed on him, he set his testers to elicit
      requirements (and hence test cases) from all and every source he could lay
      his hands on. Early draft UI specs, developers, marketers, early
      prototypes etc.

      So when the first Official Test Run happened, he already had a good set of
      test cases, his testers had a good notion of how the product worked /
      should work.

      Now the interesting bit is this....

      I suspect in some ways the testers ended up with a better tighter
      notion of the requirements than the developers had and sooner!

      John Carter Phone : (64)(3) 358 6639
      Tait Electronics Fax : (64)(3) 359 4632
      New Zealand

      The universe is absolutely plastered with the dashed lines exactly one
      space long.
    • Thomas Eyde
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 6, 2004
        John Carter wrote:

        >I suspect in some ways the testers ended up with a better tighter
        >notion of the requirements than the developers had and sooner!

        If that were the case, I hope they shared.

        Thomas