RE: [XP] Code management practices

  • Bayley, Alistair
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 2, 2004
      Apparently it does, although I have no eperience with it (but I will have
      soon, as we're about to start using multiple checkouts). You must run the
      VSS Admin tool, Menu -> Tools -> Options... -> General tab -> check "Allow
      multiple checkouts"

      It's not clear from reading the Help what happens when you have a check-in
      conflict; I'd hope that something similar to the "Resolve Merge Conflict"
      process would be triggered.

      Confidentiality Note: The information contained in this
      message, and any attachments, may contain confidential
      and/or privileged material. It is intended solely for the
      person(s) or entity to which it is addressed. Any review,
      retransmission, dissemination, or taking of any action in
      reliance upon this information by persons or entities other
      than the intended recipient(s) is prohibited. If you received
      material from any computer.
    • Daði Ingólfsson
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 2, 2004
        I have some experience with it and it works ok. If there is a conflict VSS
        will notify you and ask you to resolve it. Note that the checkbox enables
        multiple checkouts per VSS database so if you are working in a large,
        company-wide VSS database all projects in that database will have multiple
        checkouts enabled! We had this issue and decided simply to create a separate
        VSS database to host newer projects that wanted this feature enabled.

        HTH,
        Dadi.

        Apparently it does, although I have no eperience with it (but I will have
        soon, as we're about to start using multiple checkouts). You must run the
        VSS Admin tool, Menu -> Tools -> Options... -> General tab -> check "Allow
        multiple checkouts"

        It's not clear from reading the Help what happens when you have a check-in
        conflict; I'd hope that something similar to the "Resolve Merge Conflict"
        process would be triggered.

        ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com
        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Keith Ray
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 2, 2004
          Time for a spike -- try it and see. I've had problems with SourceSafe
          database corruption in the past, so I would recommend moving to CVS or
          some other system.

          --
          C. Keith Ray
        • Keith Nicholas
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 2, 2004
            Use your SourceSafe administration tool , go to Tools->options->General,
            allow multiple check outs, problem solved. It will then allow you to merge
            in your changes.

            Keith

          • Keith Nicholas
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 2, 2004
              The latest version of SourceSafe seems pretty good. We had problems with
              corruption 3-4 years ago, but haven't had problems since then. There's no
              real problem with multiple checkouts, just have to be careful when merging.
              Big thing is to make sure you get/merge at least once a day.

              We were going to change to subversion, but source safe seems a better bet
              for Microsoft Visual Studio type environments.

              The one problem with SourceSafe is that you really need to be able to have a
              connection to your SourceSafe database all the time, so its not so good for
              remote development. Subversion would be a better bet for this kind of
              thing.

              Regards,

              Keith