Re: [XP] Top Posting, Safety, New Members

  • Chris Dollin
    Message 1 of 80 , Dec 1, 2004
      On Wednesday 01 December 2004 12:42, Ron Jeffries wrote:

      [snips]

      > It seems to me that the point of Agile methods is "one group". Yet there
      > needs to be a kind of comfort for all, whether new and delicate or old and
      > oblivious. (We all know which class I fall into.) And it seems to me that
      > the difference between "essay" and "conversation" might relate to these
      > other concerns.
      >
      > Comments, ideas, questions, whatever, are welcome.

      I like your distinction between essay and conversation. It seems to me
      that one reads these differently (as well as writing them differently),
      that (for example, and speaking for myself) I'm more likely to print and
      brood over an essay than a conversation; that I'm more likely to expect
      an essay to be more-or-less self-contained; that if something is a
      conversation, the quotes are skimmed if they are familiar material,
      whereas in an essay, quotes are less frequent and (thus?) more significant,
      less skimmed.

      I am vulnerable to the rathole conversation - I find it easy to get
      into the mode of post and riposte, forever digging (and, on a bad day,
      sniping), and losing track of the context. (Horrible examples are
      doubtless preserved somewhere in Google's digestive system.) So maybe
      I should practice more essay-like posts myself. (When I have something
      to say.)

      PS As a result of my retrospectively-less-then-ept original post on
      top-posting and the consequent responses, I have finally learned
      how to switch threading on in my mailer. Maybe I'll see fewer
      contextless quotes anyway ...

      --
      Chris "<fx:vague>comp.object? Bob Hathaway? Early 1990s?</>" Dollin
    • Jim Standley
      Message 80 of 80 , Dec 5, 2004
        "Gartner Group evaluates our Model Execution System and declares a 12 to
        47 times improvement over other development approaches." So do they
        recommend I cut my development budget by 92% or 98%?