Re: [XP] Re: on top-posting

    Message 1 of 80 , Dec 1, 2004
      On Wednesday, December 1, 2004, at 6:52:51 AM, Anthony Williams wrote:

      >> I find that I really do two kinds of posting here (perhaps that's why there
      >> are so many). One is an attempt at a pithy essay sort of thing, much as I
      >> noted Kent has been doing. The other is more a conversational kind of
      >> reply: you say this, I reply that, you say this, I reply that.

      > I noticed that you had started top posting, and wondered whether you'd changed
      > mailer. It seems that you have been top-posting all replies, and not just
      > "pithy essays", though some of your detailed replies also have inline
      > comments, and my recollection may be wrong. Is this part of your "experiment"?

      I think the record will show that I quickly went back to doing some in the
      format

      Ron's posting
      Ron's sig
      ---
      quotes

      and some in the format

      (quotes
      interleaved Ron's posting)+
      Ron's sig

      I changed my default template to the top posting form for a while, and now
      I have changed it back. I did fiddle around a bit, and I'm still not sure
      what's best.

      I agree that top posting loses context, and share your wondering about
      whether essays might include no quotes at all. Perhaps a summary of the
      question instead.

      There is no art without intention. -- Duke Ellington
    • Jim Standley
      Message 80 of 80 , Dec 5, 2004
        "Gartner Group evaluates our Model Execution System and declares a 12 to
        47 times improvement over other development approaches." So do they
        recommend I cut my development budget by 92% or 98%?