Re: on top-posting

  • Anthony Williams
    Message 1 of 80 , Dec 1, 2004
      Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> writes:

      > I recently started experimenting with top-posting to this group. I noticed
      > that Kent Beck was using top-posting. He tends to think a while and then
      > produce a pithy post on whatever the subject is, spanning more than just
      > one posting. I admired that trait and thought that it might be an
      > interesting thing to try.
      >
      > I find that I really do two kinds of posting here (perhaps that's why there
      > are so many). One is an attempt at a pithy essay sort of thing, much as I
      > noted Kent has been doing. The other is more a conversational kind of
      > reply: you say this, I reply that, you say this, I reply that.

      I noticed that you had started top posting, and wondered whether you'd changed
      mailer. It seems that you have been top-posting all replies, and not just
      "pithy essays", though some of your detailed replies also have inline
      comments, and my recollection may be wrong. Is this part of your "experiment"?

      Personally, I agree with Chris that top posting makes it harder to get
      context. In a high volume group like this, even with a threaded mailer, it is
      nice to know which part of a message in particular is being replied to, and
      seeing the reply before the context makes that harder.

      For "essay" style posts, I wonder if not quoting at all would be better,
      especially if the essay is a collection of thoughts in response to more than
      one posting.

      Just my 2p,

      Anthony
      --
      Anthony Williams
      Software Developer
      Message 80 of 80 , Dec 5, 2004
        "Gartner Group evaluates our Model Execution System and declares a 12 to
        47 times improvement over other development approaches." So do they
        recommend I cut my development budget by 92% or 98%?