Re: [XP] Re: XP Survival

    Message 1 of 80 , Nov 30, 2004
      On Tuesday, November 30, 2004, at 9:03:24 PM, Keith Ray wrote:

      > There used to be a "graphical" data-flow programming language called
      > Pro-Graph, IIRC, where you drew lines and boxes and typed a few names
      > for the functions you were drawing and linking together... it was very
      > tedious and mouse-intensive. It predated UML and didn't have a textual
      > equivalent, but it did create executable applications. (MacOS)

      I've used a number of the graphical "languages" that have come out. They
      have all had the same property: it's easy to do simple things, and when you
      get beyond simple things, the difficulty of doing it graphically seems to
      explode exponentially.

      Text isn't great, but I think it scales more linearly in some ways. A tool
      like Together seems very interesting but I've never used it enough to get a
      real sense of when I'd drag a picture and when I'd just cut and paste the
      class definition, or use my refactoring tool.

    • Jim Standley
      Message 80 of 80 , Dec 5, 2004
        "Gartner Group evaluates our Model Execution System and declares a 12 to
        47 times improvement over other development approaches." So do they
        recommend I cut my development budget by 92% or 98%?