96512Re: [XP] I'm just _so_ Bad. Estimating.

  • jrb32002
    Sep 15 11:00 AM
      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, John Carter
      <john.carter@t...> wrote:
      > I need to be able to feed back to my bosses / customers the real
      delivery
      > dates as and when the daily shit happens to change them. I need to
      > automagically increase the priority on todo items as there
      deadlines loom.
      > I need to explicit drop items that foreseeably will _never_ get
      done.

      Here's what works for me on this:

      Put the most important thing on top of your todo list.
      Do nothing else until it's done. Then, do the next thing.
      When something tries to push itself onto the list,
      give it back, give it away, accept it lower on the list, or
      (last resort) make sure it's really more important,
      push it on top, and start working on it.

      The twist is that I normally have a set time of day where I suspend
      this, and work on a subset of the same list. That subset is longer-
      range planning, and simple things to help keep the daily cruft at bay
      (ideally eliminating lots of it entirely). For me, it's the first
      hour of my working day, right after I've selected the top 5-6 items
      on the todo list I'll work on today, in priority order ....

      Joseph Beckenbach
      agilist
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic