96486Re: [XP] I'm just _so_ Bad. Estimating.

  • John Carter
    Sep 14, 2004
      On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, Ron Jeffries wrote:

      >> d) The goal posts are shifting, priorities shift, I just plain get it
      >> wrong. Therefore estimates must shift, but they don't.
      >
      > When you say "estimates" here, are you really meaning "deadlines"? I use
      > "estimate" in the sense of story points, difficulty points.
      >
      > Deadlines are points / velocity. And it's velocity that varies, for me, not
      > estimates.

      I need to be able to feed back to my bosses / customers the real delivery
      dates as and when the daily shit happens to change them. I need to
      automagically increase the priority on todo items as there deadlines loom.
      I need to explicit drop items that foreseeably will _never_ get done.

      >> e) If it were simple, it would have been done already. Therefore all
      >> programming tasks are inherently more complex than what we did previously.
      >
      > The more I program, the more it all looks the same. But I suppose my eyes
      > could be failing ...

      The current embedded doodad we're programming has about an order of
      magnitude more stuff than what it is replacing.

      >> e).. Suggestions please.
      >
      > Mark Forster. http://www.markforster.net/

      Hmm. From that website...
      Friday 7th May

      "Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we
      didn't." (Erica Jong)

      > Ron Jeffries
      > www.XProgramming.com
      > The central "e" in "Jeffries" is silent ... and invisible.

      As in, "There is no 'I' in "team", but there is a silent "scapegoat"".

      John Carter Phone : (64)(3) 358 6639
      Tait Electronics Fax : (64)(3) 359 4632
      New Zealand

      The universe is absolutely plastered with the dashed lines exactly one
      space long.
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic