94733Re: [XP] SixSigma and Extreme - Is Agile to ---

  • Brad Appleton
    Jul 27, 2004
      On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 11:26:52AM -0700, Steven Gordon wrote:
      > This is clearly lean, agile, and effective.
      > What I still do not understand
      > is what it has to do with SixSigma?
      >
      > Underneath this agility, are you tracking
      > some metrics and controlling their variation
      > to withing 3 standard deviations? Is the
      > association with SixSigma just a marketing
      > ploy to appeal to a particular audience?

      I believe your statement above refers to the measurement known
      as "six sigma", where attaining "six sigma" is attaining the
      goal of achieving such a low defect density as to be six
      standard deviations (or or better)

      What Will wrote is referring to the methodology known
      as SixSigma or "Design for Six Sigma" (a.k.a. DFSS).
      If you do a google-search on:
      Six Sigma DMAIC DMADV
      you should get some hits that you can follow that explain the
      difference between SixSigma the measurement, and SixSigma
      the methodology.

      In particular, the method DFSS suggests using for improving
      and existing process uses the acronym DMAIC, which stands
      for Define-Measure-Analyze-Improve-Control. Another method in
      the SixSigma arsenal for designing new processes is DMADV
      which stands for Define-Measure-Analyze-Design-Verify.

      So the "definitions" that Will gives below basically translate
      the "items on the left" of the agile manifesto into the terms
      commonly used by lean production (pull, value-stream, waste, etc.)
      and of DMAIC/DMADV (define, measure, analyze, improve/design,
      control/verify).