      From: Robert C. Martin
      Subject: RE: [XP] cmm and agile?

      > I like Cockburn's two dimensional evaluation that he talks about for
      > Crystal - more people on the team and/or more damage from failure,
      > the more formal you need to be. I would either substitute or add
      > the distance between team members and between the team and customer
      > as another dimension. It fits my situation well.

      There is an implicit assumption lurking in this paragraph that XP is not
      formal. Indeed, I've heard this argument made many different times by
      many
      different people. They say that XP is informal; or XP is low ceremony.

      I think they are wrong. I think XP is very formal and is high ceremony.
      It
      is formal in that all the essential documents produced by XP are
      executable.
      Requirements are documented as executable acceptance tests. Designs are
      documented as executable unit tests. It is high ceremony because there
      are
      certain things that must be done as a team every day, every week, and
      every
      month. XP does not mean ad-hoc.

      The that is as stake (the more damage from risk) the more you need to
      write
      your unit tests first, write your acceptance tests first, and work in
      very
      short cycles with lots of stakeholder feedback. The more people you
      have on
      the team, the more you need communication, tests, short cycles, and lots
      of
      feedback.
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic