54793Re: [XP] Re: Cowboy Coders

  • Dossy
    Jul 1, 2002
      On 2002.07.01, geoff_sobering <geoff_sobering@...> wrote:
      > Just FYI, the use of tracing paper as an overlay is pretty common in
      > the graphic arts business. Very often it's used to show the layout
      > of graphical elements (text, etc.) on a photograph; often the overlay
      > will contain a combination of graphical-elements, comments about
      > their placement, and/or descriptons of other manipulations to the
      > base image. As people here have pointed out, in the hands of a good
      > practioner it's a very rapid method to create a representation of a
      > complex graphical object.

      One of my projects current Customer is just that: a person from a
      graphic arts background. He's actually one of the most talented
      pixel jockeys I've ever had the pleasure of working with -- truly
      talented artist.

      He actually had custom paper pads printed with nothing but a blank
      browser window in black and white (MS IE, to be specific). He then
      takes those and hand-draws webpages into it for storyboards. Then
      lays tracing paper over and annotates the webpages. A picture
      truly is worth a thousand words of documentation and his stuff
      definitely communicates well and it's a technique I'd urge any
      team whose project includes building a UI (web or otherwise!) to
      use this technique as a way of rapidly prototyping the UI.

      > Sadly, my drawing skills aren't up to the task, and I'm forced to use
      > heavier-weight tools when I have to do graphical designs...

      You can't draw squares and write text inside them? ;-)

      You know, older programmers all come equipped with a flowchart template:
      a little plastic doohickey with various standard shapes cut out which
      can be used to uniformly draw squares, triangles, ovals, rectangles,
      arrow heads ... if you consider that "heavier-weight" then fine, but
      even for my clumsy non-artistic hands they work great for drawing
      UI's.

      Maybe I'm just too old-skool ...

      > BTW, compared with the seemingly ubiquitous requirement for an LCD
      > projector at meetings, an overhead projector seems a pretty simple
      > way to share an overlayed document...

      Indeed. On one hand, you have a $3,000 laptop and a 1800 ANSI lumen
      projector for $9,000 ... vs a light bulb, a white wall and a bunch
      of overhead transparencies for a couple bucks or a ream of tracing
      paper and a few pencils for a couple bucks ...

      No wonder why company burn rates for capital is ridiculous these
      days ...

      -- Dossy

      --
      Dossy Shiobara mail: dossy@...