      From: Robert Martin UncleBob [mailto:unclebob@...]
      Sent: Friday, May 31, 2002 10:44 AM
      To: 'extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com'
      Subject: RE: [XP] iteration tasking = bduf?

      Joseph,

      Am I reading correctly that you are spending as long as a week on iteration
      planning? How long are your iteration? Ideally, you'd like your iterations
      to be two weeks long, and your iteration planning meeting to be four hours.

      I usually write tasks in terms of their "visible" effects. "Write login
      dialog", "Write password query", "Add Employee Schema to database", etc.
      Yes, there are times when a task really does boil down to "Add X method to Y
      class", but this is pretty rare.

      If your programmers are using "But that's what the task card said" as an
      excuse, then they aren't communicating well with each other, or with the
      customer. I'd also wager a guess that your customer is not writing
      acceptance tests. Are you having daily standup meetings? Are you swapping
      pairs at least once per day? Is the customer easily accessible?

      Robert C. Martin |
      President & Founder |
      Object Mentor Inc. | unclebob @ objectmentor dot com
      PO Box 5757 | Tel: (800) 338-6716 x15