51972Re: [XP] iteration tasking = bduf?

    May 30, 2002
      Around Wednesday, May 29, 2002, 11:31:58 PM, Joseph P. Graves wrote:

      > I have noticed something in an "XP" project I am on. At the iteration
      > planning meeting
      > we end up spending a fairly long time for stories (roughly = 1 day to 1
      > week) breaking
      > out tasks. Moreover the tasks tend to be of the variety: change class X,
      > write class Y
      > extending class Z with this method, etc. It seems like we are practically
      > designing the
      > whole iteration in the meeting. For some of the developers also there is a
      > tendency
      > to say "well the task cards said to do it this way so we did it this way."

      > My hunch would be that tasks should be expressed in a way that gives
      > latitude in
      > how to do it, but it seems hard to express that.

      A day is way too long IMO, unless most of your team are quite new to
      software development.

      Some teams don't do task breakdown at all, and report that they're
      doing fine. I think task breakdown helps people know what to do: it's
      a design step in my opinion.

      That said, all that needs to be figured out if the team members are
      fairly competent is the /approach/. For a story of a week's duration,
      I'd expect half a dozen to ten tasks at most.

      Just my experience, of course ... it'll be interesting to see what
      folks report.

      No one expects the Spanish Inquisition ...
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic