47438RE: [XP] How much will all this cost?

  • Charlie Poole
    Apr 7, 2002
      Daniel,

      > > Laurent,

      > puts me at a
      > > >
      > > > Why would this be bad ?
      > >
      > > 1. Because I may need the job.
      >
      > Right!
      >
      > > 2. Because I believe the client is often wrong to think this.
      >
      > Also right.
      >
      > But it is still a risk and problem.
      >
      > Are you able to get the "study" done by getting stories from the
      > client, or are you using more traditional methods?

      I haven't done stories in "study" mode but I might try it some time.

      What I have usually done in this situation is to talk with the people
      who do the work and shadow them a bit - assuming an inhouse system.
      I ask them what problems they have and what the consequences are. I
      ask them what one thing would make their jobs easier, etc. I ask
      similar questions of managers. At some point, it's clear what needs
      to be done and I write that in a report.

      The "study" isn't the design of a solution to their problems. It's
      something that outlines the problems and says I'll solve them. Well,
      it's a bit more than that, since it describes who will be involved
      in figuring out the solution and how we'll proceed to do it. I might
      recommend, for example, that we all sit around a table and think of
      the things the system will do. This "study" contributes nothing to
      the completion of the app or the sum of knowledge in the universe.
      What it does - in the situations where I have had to do it - is
      create an atmosphere in which management will empower me and others
      to solve the problems, so it does have a value.

      Charlie Poole
      cpoole@...
    • Show all 142 messages in this topic