35229Re: [XP] Expunged Programming vs Neo Pop Meta-Philosophy

  • wecaputo@thoughtworks.com
    Oct 2, 2001
      Dave,

      I want to take issue with your Expunged Programming. And that issue has a
      name:
      Neo Pop Meta-Philosphy.

      NPMP is that branch of philosophy concerned with mapping popular quotes to
      their underlying philosophical roots. For example:

      (from the Matrix):
      Morpheus:
      "What is "real"? How do you define "real"? If you're talking about what you
      can feel, what you can smell, what you can taste and see, then "real" is
      simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain..."
      Underlying source: Descartes

      (from Monty Python:)
      Dennis: "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no
      basis for a system of government! Supreme executive power derives from a
      mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!"
      Underlying source: Marx

      Thus it is a meta-philosophy, as it is refers to the underlying philosophy.
      Interestingly, most people do not know the underlying source, just the
      quote, yet they use the quote in much the same way (and often completely
      the opposite way) that the original now forgotten (by the masses)
      philosopher intended.

      You can even have meta-meta philosophy:
      (from Mall Rats:)
      Silent Bob: "Do or do not there is no try."
      quoting Yoda Speaking various flavors of eastern philosophy.

      And so forth.

      So far from wasting our brain spaces, all of that pop culture is the wisdom
      of the ages, condensed into memorable sound bytes(sic) so that we can all
      be more effective at our jobs (or did I dream it?)

      Best,
      Bill
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic