20686Re: XP Quotes

  • Alan Francis
    Feb 2, 2001
      --- In extremeprogramming@y..., Tom.Ayerst@d... wrote:

      > There's a whole bunch of quotes of [Linus] (he's very quotable) at:
      > http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/opinions/2980/1/

      I particularly loved:

      It's the "clever" programmer I'm afraid of. The one who isn't afraid
      of generating complexity, because he has a Plan (capital "P"), and he
      knows he can work out the details later. --Linus Torvalds

      Which I now have up beside this Wayne Conrad (from
      wiki:IdiotProgrammer) quote on my wall:

      I am an idiot. That has profoundly affected the way I code.
      Everything must be simple enough for a child to understand,
      and even then I struggle. Being an idiot has forced me to
      refactor mercilessly. If I don't, there's no chance of me
      understanding my code. And if I don't understand my code,
      there's no chance of me getting it to work.

      I've seen people who can solve complex problems, and I admire
      them. Alas, I'm not one of them. So whenever I have to solve a
      complex problem, I make it simple first.

      If I can't make a problem simple, it's usually because someone
      else insists that it remain complex. In that case, I have to wait
      for someone smart to fix it (thank you, smart person), or for
      someone to change their mind and allow me to make the problem
      simple. -- WayneConrad

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic